Question for 60 and 47

Maybe they will elaborate for us a little, but it's definitely an issue. Not to mention the brown outs, bullets, and puking privates.

I'd bet an OH-58 pilot or AH-64 pilot could really elaborate on power management problems in the scorching deserts of the middle east. Especially when they're trying to keep up with the 60s and 47s.

I remember a lot of days when only certain helos could fly at all, or so they said.

When I first got to OEF in Jan 2002, they couldn't use OH-58s or D model AH64s. (My understanding is that they do now, but only in the southern areas where the elevation is low.)

The 47 has a ton of power, but high and hot affects it just like any other helicopter. We routinely operated at max gross weight in 8 - 12000 ft mountains. Sometimes after doing performance planning we discovered that on certain days we couldn't load up to our max gross of 50,000 lbs. and were maybe limited to 48 or 49 k.

There was also a time when the lead ship in our flight of two couldn't quite make it over a mountain peak without chucking some MREs off the ramp.

But the 47 is amazing... we flew 55-60 fully loaded troopers per bird in and out of the Sherkankil Valley during Operation Anaconda into LZs with elevations around 8 - 10k. (We have seats for 33, but just load the troops like cordwood on the floor when we have to.).

OIF really wasn't an issue. We did a lot more slingload ops there... carried a whole bunch of crap between Kuwait and Iraq and usually had to depend on the engine torque readout to "weigh the load." After flying some very, very heavy mobile HQ containers for the Division Commander from Kuwait to Mosul, we were accused of over-loading our aircraft to 55k instead of 50. Nobody could give us a straight answer on what those containers weighed, but when I picked one up my engine torque told me I was right at 50k.

And unfortunately, a 64, 58, or 60 can't keep up with a 47, no matter the temp or altitude.:D

47's are bad ass thats for sure There is about a 20% chance i will get chinooks, even though I asked for 64's Wont bother me if that is the case

bullmastiff said:
Was power management an issue at OIF and OEF?

Bullmastiff, I haven't gone to Iraq nor Afghanistan (yet). I was in flight school during the time that my unit was in Iraq.

My first actual missions took place during Hurricane Katrina relief operations. We were operating the aircraft close to max gross weight at some points where power management was an issue. Additionally, it was hot, humid, and some landing spots where very tight. I give credit to the PICs I flew with since they had all that Iraq experience and knew how the aircraft behaved at close to max gross weight. It was a learning experience in power management for me.

In all, even large powerful helicopters like the CH-47, CH-46, CH-53, and H-60s have power management issues if the right conditions are present.

In Talla'far power mangagement was a big issue for the Longbow we only had 90% torque availible at best on the hot days,, scarcely above what it took for an IGE hover.
The Kiwi's had it real rough however, I'd see them drag thier skids 100 meters through the sand just to reach etl.
As far as the Blackhawk and Chinook went with they faired pretty well, the Chinook especially.

But let the lift drivers brag about thier power all they want, I flew around Iraq with a nice climate controlled 68 degrees, not to mention all the weapons. Besides everyone knows a lift pilot's primary job is to bring attack pilots thier food:D .

Back