Question about the 'big' flight schools

Re: Question about the \'big\' flight schools

Vero living's cheap! I know guys in furnished apts for under 500/month! The dorm is actually more than most apartments.

Most guys are on/under budget. I might be over because I've chosen to redo some lessons. I'll do a whole cost wrapup when I'm done CIME (soon!)

If you call marketing, they'll give you numbers, and those numbers are pretty solid.

G'Luck,

Chunk

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I am getting a room in a 3BR apartment on campus for $480/mo ($16/day), furnished, full kitchen, all utilities incl cable tv, maid service, pool, even bed linens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice! Even a maid? Wow!

How many other guys do you live with? Having roommates with aviation interests would be kind of cool! My last roommate just wanted to sit around drinking beer and watching Southpark...
smile.gif
A real ambitious guy!

There are 2 other guys in the apartment, it's not coed
frown.gif

I'll be moving in Jan 2, and I'll let you know how it works out. It will be nice to have roommates into flying, and to be immersed in the flying community.

Maid service is nice, I've had too many roommates who were domestically challenged so I'll really appreciate it. Plus it allows more time for studying, flying, or whatever there is to do.

Well I am a student and I am sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear!

Lets try it this way, John Q. Brainiac who just graduated from Yale with a 4.0 and grew up on uncle Chuck Yeager’s back yard private strip will probably be under budget, on the other hand Cheech B. Stoner who washed out of Reefer Rolling University and shows up late for every class and has to repeat every Saturday lesson because he is so hung over, will probably be a tad over.

There are a lot of very smart people around campus, but I haven't met one yet that possessed the psychic ability to predict the total training cost of the other students (Actually I think Chunk has that ability, unfortunately I believe he has contracted his services out through the Psychic Friends Network and is bound by contract not to post such information here, maybe he can give you his 1-900 number).

I am just trying to explain to you that what marketing comes up with will probably be very close to what you can expect to spend. No two students will train at the same pace or under the same circumstances. Remember it is an estimate, based on the flying hours, brief time and ground school time exactly as the syllabus is written, which will never happen. By asking a student you’re going to get info on what it cost that particular person and chances are your situation will be entirely different. I wouldn't make any plans based on what another student tells you. Trust me, call marketing. Most importantly visit the school to see it first hand and ask them all the questions and get all the answers first hand. Ultimately you want to get everything in writing on your student enrollment agreement. Some students are gifted flying, studying, and test taking gods. Others still think its beer bong month at the frat house. So, some spend far less, some far more, it’s really up to you as to how much effort you are going to put into it and to how quickly and on budget you will finish. Example; In my class there were 18 students that started the PPL ground school class, currently 4 of us have finished Commercial and Multi ground school, while 2 have just finished getting their private, the majority being somewhere in between. Hope this helps!

I always had a hunch that Chunk possessed psychic abilities. Thanks for the conformation!
grin.gif

I guess it wouldn’t hurt to have FSI at least send me an information packet. Attending is just an idea that’s definitely on the back burner for the time being, but you never know what the future holds… We’ll see.

As I remember the info packet did include a few sample price sheets that showed a generic price quote. Couldn't hurt to take a look at it and come up with an estimate of your own. If you can visit the school its well worth it. They will put you up in the dorm and feed you. There is another flight school in Ft. Pierce Pan Am I think, it is just down the road and Comair is about 2hrs north in Sanford. You could hit all three in a day or two and do your own comparison which I think everyone agrees is the best thing to do. The marketing dept is really pretty good and can give you quite a bit of personalized info over the phone. Students conduct the tours and they are straight shooters. I have been here 4 months and I have yet to meet anyone who is unhappy with the training or costs, nothing is hidden, they tell you up front its going to cost an arm and a leg, its up to you to ensure you don't end up spending a few extra fingers and toes and belive me I have a few freinds who are going to lose a hand or a foot but they know it and were told up front and for them they are willing to pay it so they can sleep in late, go party and take time off. To each his own!

I look at it this way, its kinda like the military, for some people the Navy is the place for them, for others its the Army, for many its neither and six months into thier contract they are bitching and moaning about how the recuiter [expletive deleted] them. They should have done some homework and stayed civilian. So don't let one school or another recruit you and then find out after dropping a big chunk of change its not for you! Just do your homework gather lots of information, ask lots of questions, visit all of the schools and then make an informed choice that fits your situation and you will be happy. It will save you a lot of bitching and moaning, not to mention loan payments in the future. Basically what you want to do is join the Marines! Sorry Chunk I just couldn't resist!

Their site said 40k for 'everything' then it had the fine print which said 'these numbers are based on FAA minimums', which everybody knows that people exceed by a lot. So figure only 30% of exceeding the time (strict training environment, etc.) = 52k for the entire package - around 6k for private = 46k, and this includes fair amount of leeway - so you can plan on 'not spending more than...' rather than 'I hope it's only....'.

I am a 20-something yr. old career changer after being in the medical field. I also have a BS degree and now am a flight instructor in the NY metropolitan area and soon to be flight instructor at FSI where I'm on the wait list.

I moved down to Florida by myself (I'm single) and immediatly moved into the dorms. I spent 1 month in the dorm before I found an off-campus place within a 5 minute drive. Right away I became friends with a couple guys from my private ground school. I was a little dissipointed that there were so few women around but I soon found my current g-friend off campus.
I basically spent all my time in some FSI related activity, groundschool, flights, Gemini (sitting in the back on a dual flight). I was always VERY satisfied with the level of profesionalism both in the airplane, in the classrooms and in the maintenance hanger. Never did I have a mechanical problem other than the occasional landing light burn out. Standardization is GREAT at FSI. It keeps that place running smoothly. The place is all about FLYING! You become totally immersed in it, something that you can't really get in an FBO environment. I see where I teach now (a smaller part 141/61 school) and there is no comparison.
I finished slightly under budget after completing my CFI. It was a great experience and I would do it again if I had to choose. I see people slowly struggle through part 61 land and I'm glad I chose to dive into it 100%. Keep in mind I'm single so I didn't have to drag kids/wife around. I also find it funny how people are interested in schools like ATA or Comair. There's another great school just down the block, it's a little more expensive but in my mind it's totally worth it. I've heard plenty of horror stories about these other places but have yet to see one about FSI. I'd say 95% of the students there are really satisfied.

Hey baron,

You instruct in NY ... selectav nassau flyers ?? ...

I will be down in FSI in July ... finishing my senior year in High School at the moment. Relatives and friends who have attended the school have told me the same. Can't wait to start my training. G'Day.

I paid about $40,000 to get thorugh the CIME program and never failed a lesson. I did go over time on a bunch of lessons in Instrument training due to delays that you receive from Miami Center. They are very busy in this area and I received several "hold for release" while waiting for takeoff. About every other plane out of VRB is IFR and the Center requires three miles spacing.

BTW, the $40,000 was coming in with my private and does not include living expenses.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I paid about $40,000 to get thorugh the CIME program and never failed a lesson.

[/ QUOTE ]

The CIME doesn't have anything to do with your username does it?
grin.gif

check out the PDF files on the FSA website, only thing I got from the snail mail info package that I didn't get on the website was a newsletter about FlightSafety International, and a personalised letter, everything else was identical to what I had seen on the web site.

Although the colour brochure has been handy for showing to friend and such

I am a 35 year old career changer. I have an associate's degree in Automotive Service, and I spent 15 years working in a Chevrolet dealership. I got my private at my local airport last summer, and am now doing the rest of the program at FSA. I'm getting ready for my instrument check ride this week. I hope to become an instructor here. I hope to fly for a reginal airline and then for NetJets.

I also have a fairly nice furnished 1 bedroom apartment 5 min. from the school for $435 a month.

Is anybody else here from Michigan? I'm from the Lansing area.

Where are you living? I'd like to get a 1 BR off campus that is furnished.

I live in an apartment building on 20th St. and 17th Ave., near downtown Vero. I think there are a couple of empty units right now. Call me if you like. 772-321-2547

Back