Question about signing off

Prino

Ive been doing my ppl at a 141 school and im only a few hours shy of being prepared for my checkride and am fed up with my current instructor. i told him today that i was going to finish up with another instructor and he said that he still has to sign me off?? he isnt the only instructor ive flown with. does he really have to be the one to sign me off?

as per the requirement of part 61 the instructor must endorse you as "...has received and logged 3 hours of flight instruction in the preceding 60 days..." This has to be from the recommending instructor. So, whoever you fly with will have to fly with you for 3 more hours regardless.

I think it is 61.39 but don't tend to memorize that kind of thing.

the instructor i will be finishing up with is at the same flight school and i have flown well over 3 hours with him. im just tired of getting yanked around by the guy ive been using. my written expires at the end of this month and im so close to being ready for my checkride....i just need to go up for a few review flights (probably about 2-3 hours)

Yep, like was said above you only need 2 endorsements to take that practical test and you can get them with a new instructor.

Good on you for demanding adequate instruction and I'm curious what your previous instructor did to make you want a change?

Yep, like was said above you only need 2 endorsements to take that practical test and you can get them with a new instructor.

Good on you for demanding adequate instruction and I'm curious what your previous instructor did to make you want a change?
dude was just all over the place. my written expires at the end of the month, and also i start my ATC training at the end of the month. i dont want to take the written again (even though it looks like i will have to now). mid week he would say "yeah well go fly all weekend" then when i called he wouldnt answer, or he had plans for the weekend and wasnt available...i should have been done in may but because he has consistently been too busy to fit me into his schedule. so in short, im not the priority i feel that i should be. i feel ive been patient enough with him but now time is kind of critical now, i cant really afford to have some jerk that blows me off when im so close to being ready. i should have done this a long time ago but i didnt want to step on any toes cause i didnt think i would still be training into july (i started in jan) /endrant

To get a sign-off (a recommendation that you are proficient and prepared) from any instructor, you have to show to him that you are.

If you can sit for a 2-hour oral, and fly a 1.5 flight doing all the PTS maneuvers well within standards all the time convincing the new instructor that you are always in control of yourself and your airplane and you never have to be guided, doing it just as you would do a checkride, then he does not have to actually fly 3 hours with you.

The regs say 3 hours within the last 60 days in preparation, but not necessarily with the same instructor.

But...what I said above is not going to happen. Not unless you happen to know another instructor in the same school who knows you, and has sorta followed your progress and can honestly evaluate you in 1 session like that and you perform almost flawlessly. And still, that is putting the CFI in a corner. We all like at least 2 consecutive good performances.

So, the 3 hour rule with the same instructor is kinda necessary.

I get what u are saying. The guy who will be finishing me off I have flown with several occasions already, so it's not like this is the first time he's flown with me. (he's actually the one who was with me when I logged my first landing) as well as a cross country. Hes much more professioal, and is actually more strict with me because he happens to be somebody I've known for several years

Back