Question about Seniority

AV8R_N8

I was wondering if someone was to get hired by a regional airline for example a Delta Connection Regional, and then built seniority in Delta Connection. Then later down the road gets hired by Delta Airlines. Would this person keep his seniority number that he got at the Regional Airline? or we he have to start building seniority all over again. Thanks

Nate

How about when you upgrade plane's ?

or F.O. to Captain?

Your seniority stays the same as long as you stay with the company. When you upgrade to captain your number stays with you. Now you might be at the bottom of the seniority numbers of captains for a while and be on reserve as a captain, but you're still ahead of MOST of the F/O's.

I say "most" because there are many F/O's out there that have the top seniority numbers for F/O's which means they can bid the trips they want, and get the days off that they ask for. So when upgrades come around for them they say no thanks and the guy below them gets the captain spot. That new captain is going to have to work the holiday's and put in his/her time on reserve and probably have to grow some gray hairs before he/she gets high enough on the seniority list to get everything they want.

So what happens 2 years down the road when the F/O that was above the Captain finally decides he's ready for the pay increase and wants to sit left seat??? He slides right in to the left seat ABOVE the guy that got upgraded before him and therefor might still be able to bid trips and days off that he/she wants.

Seniority is a tricky thing.....

[ QUOTE ]
So what happens 2 years down the road when the F/O that was above the Captain finally decides he's ready for the pay increase and wants to sit left seat??? He slides right in to the left seat ABOVE the guy that got upgraded before him and therefor might still be able to bid trips and days off that he/she wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have this right.....

Jan. 1, 2001
F/O A 10 yrs
F/O B 7 yrs

Jan.1, 2002
F/O B upgrades to Captain

Jan.1, 2004
F/O A upgrades to Captain

Captain A now gets to bid trips before Captain B, eventhough B has more time at Captain.

Another question......During furloughs, will Captains get "demoted" to F/O and then the least senior FO's be furloughed?

you have it exactly right..... with Captain A and B

my dad was captain on the DC-9 for NWA for a while.... after 9/11 he ended up getting demoted down to F/O on the Airbus. The already F/O's on the Airbus got demoted down to F/O on the 9 and then the F/O's on the 9 got the "we'll call you in the future" speech.

Being furloughed from captain to F/O is definately bad an ego bruiser too be sure.

But better to be demoted captain to f/o f/o then to not have a job at all.

Matthew

It is not demotion - demotion implies that you were unable to perform the jobs at the higher level. Everyone involved in airlines understand the ups and the downs - it is something you have to consider when getting into the industry.

[ QUOTE ]

If I have this right.....

Jan. 1, 2001
F/O A 10 yrs
F/O B 7 yrs

Jan.1, 2002
F/O B upgrades to Captain

Jan.1, 2004
F/O A upgrades to Captain

Captain A now gets to bid trips before Captain B, eventhough B has more time at Captain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. Date of hire is everything when it comes to seniority.

[ QUOTE ]
Another question......During furloughs, will Captains get "demoted" to F/O and then the least senior FO's be furloughed?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a real basic sense, yes. I was on a pretty junior aircraft category after 9/11 so I actually moved up in seniority a little, but I started moving backwards after Delta moved the 757/767 category to other bases. Now I'm like 120 out of 180 MD-88 FO's in DFW, but when I transfer to ATL I think I'll be something like 140 out of 380 MD-88 FO's so I'll see a huge seniority jump.

[ QUOTE ]
It is not demotion - demotion implies that you were unable to perform the jobs at the higher level. Everyone involved in airlines understand the ups and the downs - it is something you have to consider when getting into the industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

The term most often used to describe such scenarios is 'displaced', as in being displaced out of your equipment, seat or base.

[ QUOTE ]
The General Electric sliiiiiiiiiiide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I thought it was the 'slip & sliiiiiiiiide'
grin.gif

So much for sliding down the proverbial ladder, I fell completely off!

Back