Question about O'Hare

Tennant

Question about O\'Hare

Me and one of my friends (I have like 3 that want to go) want to fly over to ORD sometime this week. Has anyone done this? We are thinking about leaving Dubuque around midnight and we would get there around 1 AM. I don't think it will be very busy at all. Any help would be great.

Re: Question about O\'Hare

I think you'll be suprised at the amount of traffic even then! There's a Signature Flight Support on the field. Be sure you get a list of all fees/costs involved. I've heard the landing fees are high, and parking can be pricey too. However, if you can swing it, it would be a lot of fun! I used to live just east of ORD across from the forest preserve directly under the departure of runways 9 L/R. It was loud, but you got used to it. The KC-135s (military 707s) were the worst, you actually had to stop conversations and wait for the plane to go over before you could start talking again. I live in the NW suburbs now, but I can still hear the arrivals & departures, it makes me miss flying very much.

[ QUOTE ]
The KC-135s (military 707s) were the worst, .

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't the Air National Guard base at O'Hare closed?

Just one comment about going into ORD or any other major/busy apt.like that, do your homework first. Find out as much as you can about all proceedures, landing, taxiing, parking etc. before you go in. Call the controling agency or any locals and get a heads-up on anything you need to know so you don't get surprised when you go in there. Sorry I'm not exactly sure if you were asking pertaining to that or not, just trying to be helpful.

Blue Skies...

What is your flying background? ORD really can be intimidating, but I've gone in there before and just like everywhere else it has runways, taxiways, and ramps. Early in the morning there is still quite a bit of activity. However, having spent a while hanging with the ORD controllers in the tower (pre-9/11) they encouraged us to come by for some practice approaches late at night. They seemed to enjoy it.

Do your homework, but don't get worked up and let yourself get intimidated. If you know what to expect, do your homework, treat it like any other airport, just with a higher sense of alertness, you'll be fine.

Just like everyone else said make sure you do your homework, expect steep landing fees, and a high parking cost.

[ QUOTE ]
What is your flying background? ORD really can be intimidating, but I've gone in there before and just like everywhere else it has runways, taxiways, and ramps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's something for you youngin commuter types.....I remember when ORD had the named taxiways versus the phonetic ones used now. Back then, there was the Scenic, the Old Scenic, Air Force Scenic, Wedge, Bridge, and Lakeshore Drive taxiways. These would be the taxiways that you'd "take a trip" on when the Penalty Box was full. Today, there's only the Scenic Hold Pad, which is the old Scenic taxiway widened by about 800 feet, and the Penalty Box on taxiway Bravo.

If you only do a touch and go do you still get nail with a landing fee?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is your flying background? ORD really can be intimidating, but I've gone in there before and just like everywhere else it has runways, taxiways, and ramps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's something for you youngin commuter types.....I remember when ORD had the named taxiways versus the phonetic ones used now. Back then, there was the Scenic, the Old Scenic, Air Force Scenic, Wedge, Bridge, and Lakeshore Drive taxiways. These would be the taxiways that you'd "take a trip" on when the Penalty Box was full. Today, there's only the Scenic Hold Pad, which is the old Scenic taxiway widened by about 800 feet, and the Penalty Box on taxiway Bravo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just like how they have coded taxi instructions!
smile.gif

We have those at MDW too... it's called being at one end of the airport, wanting to go to the other side, and ground saying "Windy City taxi to the south ramp."
grin.gif

Hasn't the Air National Guard base at O'Hare closed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, several years ago now.

[ QUOTE ]

If you only do a touch and go do you still get nail with a landing fee?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, but a funny story:

While at the ORD tower, one of the controllers told us that often they'll clear small GA for multiple touch and gos, since they enjoy watching them buzz around the pattern. The airport police, however, don't like it very much... they'll drive out with lights flashing down the runway attempting to either get the aircraft to land to a full stop, or divert and land somewhere else. Obviously they want their money pretty bad...

I didnt know they could do that. So would they just park somewhere to make the runway to short to land unless you hit them?

I would probly do something young and foolish like buzzing them as low as I could
grin.gif

At quad city the airport police is only allowed to make two quick patrol of the taxiways after 8:00 P.M. and after 9:30.
(I think those are the times when airline traffic is its slowest)

Dont know why youd need to patrol an airport as small as quad city (MLI). Cheap binnoculars would probly do the job just fine.
smile.gif

I definetly thinking of flying to Midway. Or palwalkee in northern chicago. I just think experiance in busy airspace is valuble.

Tom

MDW is definately a good experience and they're pretty friendly to GA aircraft. What about going to St. Louis? Is that further than Chicago?

Thanks for the help
I have about 80 hours and the guy I'd go with has around 250. One of us would fly in and the other would fly out, but it sounds like it might be another week or two before we do it
frown.gif

Oh and MLI has a perimeter check done every hour. On the even hours it is done by the airport police and on the odd hours it is done by TSA.

And just an observation about MLI how many "international" airports do you know of that have corn fields on it's property?
But I can't knock it too much cause it is my home airport.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MDW is definately a good experience and they're pretty friendly to GA aircraft. What about going to St. Louis? Is that further than Chicago?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dubuque is directly west of Chicago and is about an hour flight. St Louis would be a 3 hour flight if I had to guess. MDW is nice, but it's not ORD. (know what I mean?)

I just assumed that about the perimeter. I work and Elliot aviation from 5-10 p.m.

The davenport airport is even worse. Corn fiels right next to the taxiway. And a brick yard with stacks of bricks at the approach end of r/w 21 that feel like they are going to reach up and grab you.

R/W 13 at quad city is has an awsome approach. Buzzin over the river and then the Highway.
smirk.gif

Tom

I've been into Davenport once at night. It's not a bad little airport. I like flying the approach for 9, 13 and 23 at MLI because you get to go over the QC. Do you work every night? I think I'm gona be done there sometime this week practicing shooting approaches.

BTW Do they have any planes you can rent? When I go back home it would be great to drive 10 minutes to MLI instead of having to go all the way to Galesburg

[ QUOTE ]
MDW is nice, but it's not ORD. (know what I mean?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, MDW is for hard core pilots! Can anyone say 4900 feet for heavies?
wink.gif
hehehehe just messin

Back