Question about duty time

mshunter

Still trying to wrap my head around 121 rest rules. I'll be on duty today for 15:10. I should have 10 hours of rest before my next assignment, right? I can't check from my phone. HALP!

Under standard rest rules, you need to be able to show 9 hours of rest in the last 24 hours. If you work 16 hours, it doesn't matter how much time off you were off before that, you can only show 8 hours. (8+16=24)

For extended rest periods, you need to show 8 hours of rest in the last 24 hours. If this occurs, your next rest period must be 10 hours. You can work 16 hours, but them must have 10 hours off.

This is the simplified version, and depends on op specs and which rules your company must follow. For part 135 (I know you said Part 121), check out FAR 135.265 and 135.267.

@mshunter, that sucks that you can't find it on your phone, but if you're at a 121 carrier there's a fancy new-fangled thing called an FOM. It's like an iPad, but, like, 500 pieces of paper instead.

But since you want answers here, 121 rest requirements are based only on flight time. Your min rest is either 8 or 9 hours. If you want to look it up, 121.471 is your answer.

But seriously, it's going to be easier to just grab your FOM.

EDIT: I just noticed you said "before my next assignment," which leads me to believe that you are talking about 10 hours in your base. There is no reg for that, but there may be a provision for it in your contract. Clear as mud?

Last edited:
But seriously, it's going to be easier to just grab your FOM.

EDIT: I just noticed you said "before my next assignment," which leads me to believe that you are talking about 10 hours in your base. There is no reg for that, but there may be a provision for it in your contract. Clear as mud?

I'm not required to carry my FOM, and I'm away from base, otherwise I'd look it up.

The smart ass remarks add nothing to the thread. Thanks for playing though.

I'm not required to carry my FOM, and I'm away from base, otherwise I'd look it up.

The smart ass remarks add nothing to the thread. Thanks for playing though.

I'm a nerd so I always carry my FOM. You'll find a lot if captains who will say "nah, don't worry about it" if you need something out of their book.

I also have all my manuals on my phone/laptop so they're easily accessible. Search function helps a ton.

You should also cross reference your contract to see if it is more restrictive.

Beeing a commuter, I have no room left in my bags for anything than I already have. I need to figure out a way to consolidate all my crap. Ipads are coming we've been told. I hope they get here soon. But IIRC, our contract mirrors the rest rules, save for some in base rest I think. I'm headed back to base in a little bit, and I'll look when I get there. But this trip was all messed up. I ended up dead heading to pick up a broken airplane, and the captain wasn't assigned till this morning. I could have had my rest in base, but ended up in a hotel, with a captain deadheading in this morning. There is a ton of inefficiency at the shop. With the weather that came through, I think we ran outbid reserves.

Refer to the contract, which in some cases is more restrictive than the FARs. And double check that result with what the current FARs dictate.

Beeing a commuter, I have no room left in my bags for anything than I already have. I need to figure out a way to consolidate all my crap. Ipads are coming we've been told. I hope they get here soon. But IIRC, our contract mirrors the rest rules, save for some in base rest I think. I'm headed back to base in a little bit, and I'll look when I get there. But this trip was all messed up. I ended up dead heading to pick up a broken airplane, and the captain wasn't assigned till this morning. I could have had my rest in base, but ended up in a hotel, with a captain deadheading in this morning. There is a ton of inefficiency at the shop. With the weather that came through, I think we ran outbid reserves.
Do you have a PDF copy you could put on your computer or phone? That's what I do instead of carrying a hard copy around. I'm not sure that I even have a hard copy, to be honest. Either way, I'm constantly referring to it, since I keep running into people who've been here for years but don't know what the CBA says...

But I digress.

Do you have a PDF copy you could put on your computer or phone? That's what I do instead of carrying a hard copy around. I'm not sure that I even have a hard copy, to be honest. Either way, I'm constantly referring to it, since I keep running into people who've been here for years but don't know what the CBA says...

But I digress.

Viewing from my phone is a PITA, and I usually don't take my laptop with me on trips. I'm a minimalist, and like to travel light. But I am going to try and treat myself to a tablet after Christmas(kids get first dibs on a good holiday). That is of course with other things depending(personal matters).

Back