question about DM approaches

Whiskey4Papa

i guess this question is directed towards Miked. i go to the university of arizona so i basically see planes all day, which drives me nuts because im not the one flying them, and i was wondering why the A10's and other aircraft fly even lower than they usually do when theres low clouds? i remember one day looking up and being able to actaully see the pilots helmet in the cockpit on a day like that. are you flying under the clouds to see the runway or did you guys just happen to be having fun that day buzzing the buildings? or are you just trying to get a better look at the girls? thats what id be doing.

[ QUOTE ]
i guess this question is directed towards Miked. i go to the university of arizona so i basically see planes all day, which drives me nuts because im not the one flying them, and i was wondering why the A10's and other aircraft fly even lower than they usually do when theres low clouds? i remember one day looking up and being able to actaully see the pilots helmet in the cockpit on a day like that. are you flying under the clouds to see the runway or did you guys just happen to be having fun that day buzzing the buildings? or are you just trying to get a better look at the girls? thats what id be doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The TACAN 12 IAP at DM has an MDA of 3140' for Cat D, and you descend to that at 6 DME from 4500' (if I remember correctly). Field elevation at KDMA is 2704', so when the planes cross over UofA, they're only about @450 AGL or so. Practice or actual TACAN, this is where you'll be. The planes coming off the overhead pattern are considerably higher since from the downwind to final turn, they're within 2 miles of the field (nowhere near UA, so you don't really see them) and descend from downwind to final 4200' to 300'/1 mile within the 2 miles or so. And the planes entering the overhead (following the same ground track as the TACAN, but flying upwind over the runway prior to the break) are at 4200', so when you see them over UA, they are noticaebly higher.

And the chicks look nice.....
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And DM pilots use the TUS VORTAC?

Located on field @ Tucson International Airport right?

Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for that approach, or any of the IAPs to DM. There's a TACAN on field at DMA. Only thing TUS is used for is some of the recoveries such as the DAVEZ 3, PIMA, TIGRE, and Green Valley from the SELLS and RUBY/FUZZY MOAs, and the RUSTY recovery from the OUTLAW and JACKAL MOAs as well as Willie.

Back