Question about ATP program

How long do they give you before taking you knowledge exams?
Dont I study for them before applying?

You can take them after you start the course...but it's better to take them before you start. If you wait till you start, you have to pass the written exams before you can take the checkrides and your attention is diverted from flying. If you take them before you start, the only thing you're focused on during the program is flying and your practical airmanship skills. At least that's what I've been told numerous times.

Steve

Ok Thanks,.
Do you know how for how long the test is valid after completing the knowledge?
I think 6 months but not sure.

Ok so I was off.
WAY OFF
wink.gif

Thanks aloft

Adlerson and / or Sig,

First, let me thank you guys (or gals) for posting your experience while going through the program. I plan to start ATP's ACP around September next year at your location. I'll have enough money saves up by then to pay for the whole amount instead of going into debt. My question to you guys is:

1. What airport do you fly out of in So. Cal?
2. What's the weather like around this time of the year? Do I need to bring my extreme cold weather clothing?
3. How are the apartments and how far is it from the airport?
4. What are some of the places to see and go when not flying ( I know those days will be rare)?
5. If there isn't a flight partner to buddy-up with for the x-country, will ATP make me wait until somebody comes along?
6. How are the dispatchers at your location? Do you guys have a good relationship with them.

Thanks again.

1. RAL (Riverside)
2. Riverside has two seasons: 'hot' and 'not as hot'. Extreme cold weather clothing? What's that? Ever seen "Baywatch"? That's here. Most kids in Riverside have never seen snow up close and personal-like.
3. No idea
4. In River-tucky? hahahaaha You don't wanna see what there is to see in River-tucky. Fortunately, Hollywood and environs is only about an hour away.
5. No.
6. Non-existent; ATP's dispatchers are all at JAX, to the best of my knowledge.

Maybe a real ATP'er can answer these serious-like; after reading the "extreme cold weather clothing" bit, I couldn't resist.

I'll throw in a few cents too;

2) If you attend in September you don't need any kind of cold clothing. You wouldn't anyway, just for living here in SoCal, but some of your cross country flying might take you over more mountainous terrain, and I would pack a few pieces of warm clothing for that, in the unfortunate event of a forced landing or some such.

3) Don't know what they're like, haven't been to them. According to my students they're not too bad, there's a pool at least. They're only about a 4 minute drive from the airport.

4) As you say, those days will be rare, but in the event you should get a day or two off, I'm sure you could find something to do. Go to the beach, Disneyland, Sea World in San Diego, Universal Studios in Hollywood, countless museums, so on and so forth. And it's not like there's nowhere to go if you feel like being social in the evening.
smile.gif

5) No, normally someone from somewhere else who also went through the program alone will be paired up with you.

6) As aloft pointed out, ATP has it's dispatchers in the main office. We do have a good relationship with them though, all the instructors know them personally, and if you don't throw any temper tandrums during your cross country flying you'll have a good relationship with them too.
smile.gif

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Helge

Back