Quest... 135 or 91?

kiloalpha

A few years ago, CASW ran Quest Diagnostics all over the country. Then they pulled that from us putting it into their own TMB700s. Well, they are doing it part 91... but I guess there a rumor that they need to be 135 since it's not their "samples."

It's a gray area I know, but what do you guys think?

Quest Diagnostics has their own flight department. Pretty sure they are Pt. 135. They recently had an opening for their STL base which I applied for. Got filled pretty quickly!

No, they are definitely part 91. Their routes run 8 or 9 hours a night. There's no way that would be legal under 135. Plus their requirement for the job was 1,000 hours I believe.

When we were doing the routes, our pilots would time out at the end of the week/month/year. It was scheduled for 7.5 hours a night. It was alot of flying.

Another member of this site and I got really interested in hauling some agriculture stuff on a regular basis from a couple large farms to market. By road this would take 5 or 6 hours each way through mountains. Via airplane it could be done in 1.5 each way. The way around 135 was buy the products wholesale at the farm, resell with your cost plus profit to the end seller - being a middleman basically. Alas, we couldn't make the economics work on 6,000 lbs unless we did it twice a day and we had neither the supply or demand to do that. Wouldn't have needed a 135 though.

We are not charging to transport your Pee, Poo, spit, and anything else the body emits, just test them. Pt 91. It has been that way for 30 years.

No, they are definitely part 91. Their routes run 8 or 9 hours a night. There's no way that would be legal under 135. Plus their requirement for the job was 1,000 hours I believe.

When we were doing the routes, our pilots would time out at the end of the week/month/year. It was scheduled for 7.5 hours a night. It was alot of flying.

There are very few routes that fly 8 hrs a night, and when they do we have a "co-pilot". We try to have our flight dept as closely structured to any 135 carrier and have the SOP's to prove it. However, we have the flexibility to stray from that if need be.

Back