QnA's for current CPC or Developementals!!

wve_iii

okay now that im further along in the process I have a ton more questions about the job. Hopig that some of the CPC's and developementals on here could maybe answer a few.

1. I was selected for ZFW I ordered the high(H-6) and low(L-17) altitude enroute maps that cover my center. Are these the right maps or are there additional ones?

2. Looking at both maps ive figured alot out but dont really see what the little triangles mean? they say that they are a "Fix Compulsory and non-compulsory position report" and they give mileages to DME's and VOR's. My wife works in tech ops and she says that they are no phtsical pieces of equipment on the ground. they also have 5 letter indents on them. Anyone know what these are? Could explain a little?

3. Was mentioned to me earlier all that we have to remember in our airspace (Jet Routes, Victor Routes, Navaids, etc). Is there a specific method that you typically use to help memorize this info?

4. I think someone told me that when i go to the ARTCC i will first have to learn the entire airspace then i will be assigned an area. Once assigned to this area does that mean ou stay there or do you eventually learn all of the areas

5. How many aircraft are typically under one persons control?

Well these are just the ones I can think of now, any help would be great. I know i will learn all of this eventually but would like to get to know as much as I can.

just wait till you get to ZFW and they will tell you what to study, with the back log in training at the ARTCCs youll have plenty of time to study.you dont even know what area your going to so dont waist your time till you have to.

not sure how much i can help but those "little triangles" are fixes and are compulsory and non compulsory reporting points (used for non-radar procedures) the 5 letter intents are the names of the fix. (i could be a little off on that as im just a terminal guy)

as far as what you have to memorize, i know that each center is broken down into sectors, and you have to be able to draw it all out on a blank map before you even get to work traffic...once you check out on one sector youll go to the next, and if i remember correctly, youll check out on about 7 sectors.

as far as how many aircraft you will be working at once, it really varies....its not like you can say "youll be working an average of xx number of planes" because even then....its just an average, and not the actual number

one more thing, i would probably focus more on the academy airspace before tackling the ZFW airspace....youll have to get past the academy (like its that hard) to get to your facility

like i said earlier, im a terminal guy so i dont know much about center stuff so youll have to wait till one of those guys gets on

Quick unrelated question.....
Say someone is hired for a center and completes the academy. They get to the facility, but there is about a year to wait for training.

Does this person just go to the center and study each day? Or do they get a training date, study at home or where ever, and still get paid?

Quick unrelated question.....
Say someone is hired for a center and completes the academy. They get to the facility, but there is about a year to wait for training.

Does this person just go to the center and study each day? Or do they get a training date, study at home or where ever, and still get paid?

If there is any sort of wait, you will most likely work as an A-side. A-side is sort of a 3rd controller but is more of a "gopher" more than anything.

2. Looking at both maps ive figured alot out but dont really see what the little triangles mean? they say that they are a "Fix Compulsory and non-compulsory position report" and they give mileages to DME's and VOR's. My wife works in tech ops and she says that they are no phtsical pieces of equipment on the ground. they also have 5 letter indents on them. Anyone know what these are? Could explain a little?

Those reporting points are for when you are NOT in radar contact. Radar coverage across the U.S. is good but there ARE holes so thats why those are there. The points are only used when you are not in radar contact. If you are in radar contact you can forget about them. Hope this answers your question.

Chris

Those reporting points are for when you are NOT in radar contact. Radar coverage across the U.S. is good but there ARE holes so thats why those are there. The points are only used when you are not in radar contact. If you are in radar contact you can forget about them. Hope this answers your question.

Chris
Well that's not true at all.

Those Fixes are used all the time, radar or no radar. They are used to give aircraft "proceed direct FIX, join jet whatever, resume own navigation" and lots of other navigational information.

You have missed my point here.

From the book "Aviator's Guide to Navigation, by Donald Clausing"

"When radar is no available, the only way ATC can control air traffic is via position reporting, relaying information from aircraft to ground controller. In a non-radar environment, it means that the pilot must be aware of his/her position at all times; he/she must know how to make a position report that is accurate and complete"

"The pilot should assume that he/she is not in radar contact unless specifically told otherwise: "Radar Contact" Once in radar contact, the pilot can assume that he/she continues to be in radar contact until told otherwise: "Radar Contact Lost", "Radar Service Terminated" These are three key phrases that indicate to the pilot weather position reporting is required or not"
I never said that the fixes can't be used for other things. As you noted, to join a Jet or Victor airway. In regards to position reports; All I'm saying is that when you hit these fixes and are in radar contact, you ARE NOT REQUIRED to make a position report. Whatever else ATC wants to use the fixes for is irrelevant.

So yes, what I said is true.

...The points are only used when you are not in radar contact. If you are in radar contact you can forget about them...
Chris

You have missed my point here.

I never said that the fixes can't be used for other things. As you noted, to join a Jet or Victor airway. In regards to position reports; All I'm saying is that when you hit these fixes and are in radar contact, you ARE NOT REQUIRED to make a position report. Whatever else ATC wants to use the fixes for is irrelevant.

So yes, what I said is true.
I don't think I missed your point at all. You clearly said they are not used when in RADAR contact, which is obviously wrong. You are defining a fix as a compulsory (or non compulsory) reporting point when that is just one of the uses it has.

Look, if you are IN RADAR CONTACT you are not required to make a position report at those points. PERIOD. I don't know how I can be any clearer than that.

What you are saying is that the fixes are used for more than just reporting. You are correct. I never said (or meant) anything to the contrary.

Chris

Look, if you are IN RADAR CONTACT you are not required to make a position report at those points. Duh. But that's not what you said. You said that they're not used AT ALL when in RADAR contact and that we should just forget about them. PERIOD. I don't know how I can be any clearer than that.

What you are saying is that the fixes are used for more than just reporting. You are correct. I never said (or meant) anything to the contrary.

Chris

Nathan,

It's obvious that you are looking for someone to argue with. I humbly bow out. Even when I agree with you, you find something to argue about. Sorry, but I registered on this forum for other reasons. You are the man.

C.

Nathan,

It's obvious that you are looking for someone to argue with. I humbly bow out. Even when I agree with you, you find something to argue about. Sorry, but I registered on this forum for other reasons. You are the man.

C.
I'm not trying to argue. I just don't want anyone who doesn't know anything about charts and fixes to misunderstand you.

Well that's not true at all.

Those Fixes are used all the time, radar or no radar. They are used to give aircraft "proceed direct FIX, join jet whatever, resume own navigation" and lots of other navigational information.

:yeahthat:

Exactly. Pretty sure we're talking about intersections here and they are used daily in ATC for radar identified aircraft. Not to mention, they are VERY relevant for someone learning to be a CONTROLLER for reasons other than being non-compulsory reporting points.

HD

Back