q400 pilots disappearing

How do you know it was a BS sick call?

If the guy requested off and didn't get it in PBS or had several trip drops denied for the date in question, it's probably a BS sick call.

I'm all about QOL, but the guys that do that are the reason the company is so hard nosed on sick calls. Now they just assume EVERYONE that calls in sick is lying.

If the guy requested off and didn't get it in PBS or had several trip drops denied for the date in question, it's probably a BS sick call.

I'm all about QOL, but the guys that do that are the reason the company is so hard nosed on sick calls. Now they just assume EVERYONE that calls in sick is lying.

That just teaches you never to request off (just call in sick) for the days you really need off, IMHO.

I agree that ALPA should fight for each pilot - but we really need to strong arm fellow pilots into not ruining things for the rest of us. Why do companies have disciplinary sick policies and require 3 doctors notes but will "terminate" you for 6 sick calls? Because people abuse the system. I think the company should be able to grieve to ALPA about individual pilots and when ALPA sees they have a member not acting appropriately, take steps to tell the member, this is your "one" chance, shape up or lose your seniority number, and be subject to the company.

However, the discussion also concluded that this won't happen because we want pilot dues.

I'm not really looking to crucify people but the abusers ruin it for the rest of us, and cause the companies to create sweeping policies for 1300 guys rather than dealing with one.

Abusers are as bad as scabs. Discuss. :D

You are confusing mavericks with those who don't care. We have some mavericks here who are not even in the union that are still here..... Ask the C3 folks if a single pilot has been terminated over being sick. Then when you get that answer I can let you know if they were said to be "terminated" vs. being out on sick/medical leave. I was recently told about a pilot who everyone knows (by seniority) being fired for sick time abuse, truth is, he is/was out on medical.

Just cause you are nominated doesn't mean you get the spot.... Good luck though!

The company terminating someone for only sick calls is something of a fantasy of mine. Just thinking about it I rub my hands in anticipatory glee.

Disclaimer: I have never called in sick where I work and I don't intend to until I am actually not fit to fly and the call is warranted.

That said, I advertise my ENTIRE month's schedule, every month, within a few hours of the bid award coming out. This way, if they ever question the legitimacy of my sick call if I call in sick sometime, during the doctor note process I can tell them that they cannot use my trip advertisement as a suggestion that I wanted those days off because I advertise 100% of the flying they assign me, no matter what it is!

The real point is to get some more time off but nobody picks up my trips so this secondary reason as become reason enough to continue advertising it all.

But I've seen weak sisters carried by check airmen who don't want to hurt someone's feelings or be the "bad guy" and bust someone.

ALPA has NOTHING to do with the daily operation of the airline's training department. And that's where the problem lies.

Nice try at tarring ALPA though.

It's not a difficult decision busting someone, if I wouldn't want my wife and daughter to be a passenger in back while someone is flying they don't pass the ride. In a way it would be nice if ALPA had a better understanding of how our training department works, contrary to what some people think, we're not out to get anyone.

It's not a difficult decision busting someone, if I wouldn't want my wife and daughter to be a passenger in back while someone is flying they don't pass the ride. In a way it would be nice if ALPA had a better understanding of how our training department works, contrary to what some people think, we're not out to get anyone.

Interesting question here: how many seniority list pilots do you guys have in the training dept? Our company has recently decided to kick most of the seniority list guys back to the line and go with straight up instructors, some of which have never flown the actual airplane. Now, this is technically a violation of the contract when it comes to things like PCs, but the company has gotten around that (for now) by calling them LOFTs and saying they're "non-jeopardy events," even though if you don't pass you're no longer line qualified. To make issues worse, I can see the company pitting an "us vs them" atmosphere if it comes to a grievance fight by saying "The seniority pilots want your jobs," and then it could really hit the fan.

Interesting question here: how many seniority list pilots do you guys have in the training dept? Our company has recently decided to kick most of the seniority list guys back to the line and go with straight up instructors, some of which have never flown the actual airplane. Now, this is technically a violation of the contract when it comes to things like PCs, but the company has gotten around that (for now) by calling them LOFTs and saying they're "non-jeopardy events," even though if you don't pass you're no longer line qualified. To make issues worse, I can see the company pitting an "us vs them" atmosphere if it comes to a grievance fight by saying "The seniority pilots want your jobs," and then it could really hit the fan.

All of the sim instructors/Check Airmen are on the list.

If a CA hit me it would be a severe moral dilema- beat the out of him, or report him.... Both are not good consequences but it would take all the professionalism I could muster not to beat him. I've never been swung at in the cockpit though...
Where is the moral dilema here? Beat his ass, then report him! Best of both worlds! Of course the plane may be down for maintenance after I put his head through the side window...:D

Just to clarify is this CA hitting an FO a...

1. Slap the hand away from the controls

2. Slap in the face

3. Putting the hand in the face and pushing it away (not a slap)

4. An Uppercut

As a pilot in training I got the first one a few times, both deserved and not. But never the other three...:buck:

We've got a Captain out here at XJ that hits FO's.

Me. I hit them hard enough they don't talk about it. Always take them for ice cream afterwards though.

(new rumor mill about XJ starting in 5..4...3...2....1... and go!)

Ahh, the Ice Cream Man... we've all heard of him. I don't know his name, but have received confirmation that he is real. When I was in initial, one of the upgrading guys I believe had received the obligatory ice cream.

For everyone outside of XJ, he allegedly yelled (a lot) at his FOs, he didn't hit them. Word is he ended up in anger management classes and now has a new system. Do you know which system I'm talking about, Joe?

Ahh, the Ice Cream Man... we've all heard of him. I don't know his name, but have received confirmation that he is real. When I was in initial, one of the upgrading guys I believe had received the obligatory ice cream.

For everyone outside of XJ, he allegedly yelled (a lot) at his FOs, he didn't hit them. Word is he ended up in anger management classes and now has a new system. Do you know which system I'm talking about, Joe?

Coldstone at least? Or Dairy Queen? :D

PLEASE tell me you're kidding. If you're a prospective LEC rep, the first thing you need to learn is:

"Its is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Actually that's from the book of Proverbs. :D

No no, do tell!

In all honesty the only guy I know with anger management issues that ... kinda left ... isn't back yet. Sounded like he was canned over something that I found out to be overblown, but he was just so angry and awful with the pilots that mgmt decided he needed a break. No idea where he is or if he's back.

Anyway, MY FO's won't talk about it because I take compromising pictures of them as blackmail. You just got to know how to treat people. jeesh.

Back