Q on minimum separation VFR

Fencer

Experimentalist
We will be crossing the border with Canada this weekend VFR. A gaggle of five airplanes. All filed separately but we would like to stay closer to each other. Not a formation but all PICs are trained. I know an annoying high pitch sound will beep in your radar room. What minimum separation should we maintain in order not to trigger proximity alert?

When I've done formation flight in Class C in the past, ATC asked that the lead aircraft have its xpdr on and they talk to ATC, everybody else is quiet, stays close and follows the lead. I'd call the facility and ask what they want.

Everyone but lead squawks standby will avoid the problem. Few things are more annoying than a formation buzzing through at 90 knots

We can't standby transponders as we usually do. It's international flight and each airplane will have a unique code. At what distance the alert is not activated? Hey Moncton Center what should we do? :)

Ah well in that case at least on terminal arts 3e based scopes in the US they have a mind of their own it seems . 500 feet of altitude or a mile or so laterally would do the trick on the scopes I use.

When I've done formation flight in Class C in the past, ATC asked that the lead aircraft have its xpdr on and they talk to ATC, everybody else is quiet, stays close and follows the lead. I'd call the facility and ask what they want.

If you're standard formation, yes. If non-standard formation, the trail airplane will normally squawk 4000.

Ah well in that case at least on terminal arts 3e based scopes in the US they have a mind of their own it seems . 500 feet of altitude or a mile or so laterally would do the trick on the scopes I use.

Excellent! Thanks.

You are going through Maine, I take it?What part? Will you be talking to Center? What altitude are you planning to be at? There are parts of ME where radar and/or radio coverage is limited, so that could make a difference.

Hey glad to hear you're coming back!

I'll check with my low altitude brethren, but it would be simple to suppress any alarms anyway, shoot me a PM when you're coming, I'll do my best to make sure they take care of you

Fencer

Also I know your trip is not likely long here, but the invitation for beer and such is always open.

Fencer, your gaggle of airplanes didn't happen to fly up the Maine coast this past Sunday, did it? I saw five RV's (I think) flying low level past Ogunquit.

Back