PVT Checkride- Slow flight/ Stalls.

hierhier

I know when doing S-turns, turns around a point, and rectangular courses you start the maneuvers on downwind. Now when it comes to slow flight and stalls I take it you want to do these manuvers into the wind? Or does it not matter? I say into the wind but just want to be 100% sure.

Thanks,
Chad

Whatever direction your clearing turns point you in!
cool.gif

(You did do clearing turns, didn't you?
wink.gif
)

The purpose of beginning ground ref. maneuvers downwind is to see right off the bat how much effect the wind is going to have. In slow flight/stalls, you're not as concerned about the effects of wind. (Try slow flight in a 152 into a really cranking headwind aloft sometime, its fun...you can go backwards)!

[ QUOTE ]
(Try slow flight in a 152 into a really cranking headwind aloft sometime, its fun...you can go backwards)!

[/ QUOTE ]

I got to experience that once...it was a blast. We were moving really slowly and the instructor told me to turn about 10 degrees to the right and then try and slow it up a little more. The stall horn was blaring and we became completely stationary and then the plane started to edge back really slowly. I wouldn't have believed it had I not done it.

[ QUOTE ]
I know when doing S-turns, turns around a point, and rectangular courses you start the maneuvers on downwind.

[/ QUOTE ]

The PTS no longer requires you to enter on the downwind for these maneuvers. I talked to a DE and he said the same thing about turns around a point. Looking at the PTS all it says is to maintain adequate wind-drift correction for the maneuver.

Back