Purdue - FE ticket

eas

Just wanted to pass along a rumor that I just heard. Contrary to my previous post, apparently you no longer get your F.E. ticket at Purdue with the 4 year Aviation technology (pro pilot option) degree. Story I heard was that they realized that very few of us ever really used the ticket so why get it. I will post a confirmation when I get it.

Be well and fly safe.
Eas

[This message has been edited by eas (edited January 13, 2001).]

I haven't heard that... but even if it's true, those things are nothing more than a novelity these days.
frown.gif

I know that we can't give 727 ratings, but I'll ask around about that F/E thing.

Neil Harrison
AOPA Member
Purdue University Student

Thanks Neil,

I would be interested in knowing what the program is now like. Having gone through the FE program, way back when, the one thing that it did for me was, even if I never fly as an FE, it showed me what it's like to learn an aircraft of that size, in that detail. While I know that training with an airline will be much more accelerated, I have also heard that it may not be quite as detailed as what we went through (if you can believe that.) For example, we had to be able to take blank pieces of paper and draw the electrical, hydraulic, and pressurization schematics as depicted in the manual. I have been told that this is not something generally required at airline training. Even though it has been awhile since then, I know that I am able to do it and it gives me some comfort as I pursue this career change and have training coming up if successful.

Be well and fly safe
Eas

eas... just curious, did you ever have a professor by the name of Denver Lopp?

Yeah, the airlines' system training is not that in-depth. My friend is currently interning at Delta and just finished their CRJ Fuel Systems class. He told me that the 4 of them (my friend and 3 other Purdue students) were the only people writing copious notes. The teacher saw them feverishly scribbling down notes and stopped class and said, "those numbers that I just gave you they're just close to it... I don't know the real ones." The course was also just 2 hours long.

Basically, from what I heard, is the courses that the airlines teach amount to "yep... there's a fuel system on the airplane."

I haven't asked about your question, but I really won't doubt that they no longer give you your F/E. What you can still get is your A&P, which is almost the same.

Neil Harrison
AOPA Member
Purdue University Student

Neil,

No, I never had Denver Lopp as a professor. However, I do know him. I know his son Nathan better as he worked with/for my wife a couple of summers. As far as Mr. Lopp goes, I don't think I had him as a prof because, if I recall correctly, he doesn't teach pilot option courses. He is more involve with the aviation maintenance program I think. Why do you ask?

As far as the FE ticket goes, I spoke with a senior at Purdue over the weekend who said he thought that this was the last year that they would be giving the FE ticket. Back when I was there, if you were in the "airline option" you got your FE. If you went "corporate option" you didn't.

Be well and fly safe.
Eas

Actually an FE school at a major airline is fairly brutal.

FO school on the 727 and FE school on the 727 are two mutually exclusive situations.

The FO may have to know a few facts on the fuel system, but the FE has to know number and location of fuel pumps, crossfeeding, which pumps run off of what power source, limitations, fuel dump provisions, etc.

------------------
D o u g T a y l o r
J e t C a r e e r s

AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Doug! I thought those days were gone. Your post brings on flashbacks of my senior year at Purdue... what systems run off what busses? what are max duct pressures & temps? how does an air cycle machine work? capacities... pressures... flows... checklists... the dreaded "big red crank" for manual gear extensions. Take out three blank peices of paper and draw the electrical, hydraulic, and air conditioning & pressurization schmatics. Quick someone get me a stick or piece of leather to put between my teeth so I don't bite my tongue off! Oh the humanity!

Man those really were "the good ol' days"!

Purdue University currently does offer the FE ticket. I am a junior in their flight program, and am possibly looking into pursuing that. It is not a part of the Professional Pilot Program, but rather an add on course, I believe that you do the training the summer after graduation. Which is why I'll probably pursue that due to a lack of flight time, I currently have only 240 hours and am working on my CFI. I figure to be competitive for a job out of school with a regional, I would need at least 500 hours, possibly more. I am worried about obtaining a job in the near future and I figure that something like the FE ticket, shows an airline that you have mastered the systems of a large, transport category aircraft. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
Adam Trzop
Purdue University-Aviation Flight Technology

eas... the reason why I asked is because he teaches the systems classes and engine classes.

I'll have to say that the courses have became easier (if what you say is true), however it's still meticuously in-depth.

Adam...

Do you know Mike McDonald? He's interning at Delta now.

Back