Pulling OUT?

U.S. Airways may be pulling out of Pittsburgh which is one of their major Hubs. Many officials in the area are disappointed because working out a deal to stay in Pittsburgh doesn't seem to be atop U.S. Airways' agenda. These officials seem to think it is time to pursue other Airlines to establish a hub in Pittsburgh. Have any of you more seasoned pilots ever seen a situation like this? If U.S. Airways does leave, what other Majors do you think would most likely establish Pittsburgh as one of their Hubs? Maybe it would be a good chance for Frontier to establish themselves in a new City. Or, Maybe even Jet Blue. They have a brand new fleet of A-320's. By the way their web site sounds, they are growing in leaps and bounds. Pittsburgh would probably be a good place to establish themselves in the early going. I really don't know, I am just speculating since I am not a pilot (YET) or airline industry expert. What do all of the rest of you think about this situation?

Any talk you hear about FRONTIER coming to pittsburgh is just FRONTIER trying to work DIA to get some more gate space here in DEN.

I wouldnt be surprised to see us start flying there but hubbing there, doubt it! We are growing at about the same rate as Jetblue, but the thing is the guy who calls the shots at B6 has a history of getting a business going and then as soon as it is on top, he sells, makes a ton of money and then that company is done. Will be interesting to see if he stays in this one for the long haul.

Pittsburgh may be seeing some rough times if/when US bails. I cant think of anyone else who would hub there really. A shame really, as Pittsburgh has a really nice airport going. Its just kindof in a bad location for a new hub considering no one is really expanding at this time.

[ QUOTE ]

Pittsburgh may be seeing some rough times if/when US bails. I cant think of anyone else who would hub there really. A shame really, as Pittsburgh has a really nice airport going. Its just kindof in a bad location for a new hub considering no one is really expanding at this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, really bad times. The bad thing is that the whole thing is over taxes I believe
smirk.gif
. Allegheny county PA is known to be among the highest taxed counties in the Nation. Pittsburgh is a very nice airport. It would be a d!@n shame to see them pull out. Maybe Delta or SouthWest could hub there. What do ya think?
ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, really bad times. The bad thing is that the whole thing is over taxes I believe
smirk.gif
. Allegheny county PA is known to be among the highest taxed counties in the Nation. Pittsburgh is a very nice airport. It would be a d!@n shame to see them pull out. Maybe Delta or SouthWest could hub there. What do ya think?
ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Southwest could put a hub in Jackson Hole, WY and turn a profit...
grin.gif

Northwest? It is the only big 4 with only three hubs in the U.S. The only problem I see is it being so close to DTW.

Delta wouldnt put one there due to hubs in CVG and NYC. The PIT hub didnt make sense though with PHL and BWI so close.

Well, I can't really blame USAir for attempting to grow a brain. Having an international airline that has all three of its hubs less then 400 miles apart and two in the same state is the sign of some serious lack of intelligence.

Though from an operational standpoint, I'd rather they get out of Philly! <grin>

Paul

I've heard that this isn't a very effective form of contraception and of course it doesn't offer you any protection from STDs.

wink.gif

Dave

Ha yep, I was thinking the same thing. That method isn't very good; never know when you might slip one past the goalie!

Back