Psychiatrist referral?

JenS

Hello,
I am a student pilot and was denied my Class 3 physical due to the medications that I took during the final year of graduate school: Lunesta, Adderall, and Wellbutrin. I stopped taking all of the medications on 11/9/11 and I am doing great. (Don't get me started on the fact that I probably didn't *need* these meds.) The FAA requires that the exams listed listed below be conducted. I am in contact with a psychiatrist who says he is very familiar with these exams, offers all of them and communicates with the FAA frequently. Is there any way I can double-check this to ensure that my money, time and energy is going to a reputable physician who can help me? Is it possible for you to refer me to someone who is fluent with these exams?
I greatly appreciate your time and insight.
Thank you!
1. Trails A & B Making Test
2. Wisconsin Card Sorting Test
3. Paced Auditory Serial Addition Test (PSAT)
or TOVA
or Conners Continuous Performance Test
4. Complete Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale - Revised (WAIS-R)
5. Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI-2/MMPI)
Three or more of the following:
6. Cognitive function screening test such as the Category Test (Booklet or
Machine) or a memory scale (Wechsler Memory Scale, California Verbal
Learning Test, Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test)
7. Projective test such as Rorschach or Sentence Completion
8. Personality inventory test such as NEO-R, the Personality Assessment
Inventory, or the Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory (MCMI)
9. A symptom screening test for depression such as the Beck or Hamilton

It would probably be a good idea to send Walter a private message with your location if you hope for a recommendation to a specific doctor.

You might consider calling AOPA and asking that question. 1-800-USA-AOPA. I don't know what kind of answer they might give, but they provide medical advice for pilots in all locations.

Send me a PM with the Dr's name and where you live. I may be able to tell you something about him or direct you to someone who does this all of the time.

Back