PSA Captains flying right seat?

From what I'm reading elsewhere, sure as hell seems the guys who still have jobs at PSA are being abused far worse than Marcus is here at ASA.

Here's to you guys getting some guys back to work to relieve the strain. Good luck.

I like to play a game.....it's called "how long till the guy to my left notices that I have 4 stripes too" :) I think the record so far is 3 legs.

I've probably flown shotgun on about a dozen different trips so far during my 3 year tenure as a reserve captain.

Do you guys still get captain pay in the right seat at PSA? We do, which makes it far more tolerable.

Standard practice at Colgan since they opened the doors. Those guys can get really abused sometimes.

At Eagle CAs could get junior-manned to fly right-seat. Didn't happen very often, but it did happen.

As long as I'm getting paid as a Ca, no problem. I remember back over summer we were having one of "those days." Huge delays leaving the gate etc, I was the FO munching away on my sandwich while the CA was working like a dog, deciding what to do with the plane and pax. I really really enjoyed the right seat that day.

Back when the Q first came on line, it happened very often since we were short of FOs. Good times! :)

The situation im highlighting is Captains, flying as an FO, when there are First Officer's out on the street.

Seems like a real dick thing to do. Know it's happening at a number of other carriers now as well, must be nice to make that premium pay. That said, I don't see it stopping until the financial incentives to do such work is taken away.

The situation im highlighting is Captains, flying as an FO, when there are First Officer's out on the street.

Seems like a real dick thing to do. Know it's happening at a number of other carriers now as well, must be nice to make that premium pay. That said, I don't see it stopping until the financial incentives to do such work is taken away.

It's one thing if they are picking up open time.

It's a completely different ballgame if they are assigned per the CBA as reserve guys or within the rules of assigning line holders.

The first scenario, they should be chastised accordingly.

The second, they are doing what they are required to do.

To my knowledge, and I'll leave room for Ethan and also Jeremy to step in and address this same topic, this is a situation that has happen only once. As to the real story behind it, I can only know the Fiance of the lady who was the Captain of the trip whom had the sim instructor/checkairmen as her FO. She was sitting hot reserve I believe and it was a last second thing. They were out of FO's to use due to either timing out for the day or just not having anyone that late at night..... Its nothing that happens on a regular basis. Now do I believe its right or wrong is another issue. I do not like the thought of this and wish our lovely management would get things right. But we can blame the guy on the top Mr. KH himself for this......

I dont know how things are over at ASA right now Josh but it does seem like they are getting used a lot. However it appears you all over there are able to see these, "Red" days on reserve coverage. Here we are unable to do that. We have very little knowledge as to what the proper number of reserves are for a given day. However I cant even tell you the number of times I've been TOLD I am either, A) the only reserve left in base or B) You have to sit hot reserve for the thrid time this week due to operational coverage.

I'm not going to sit back and say I know how things have always been here at PSA. I've been here less then two years and do not nearly know how things have always been. But its my understanding we've always historically been LOW staffed. Trying to be a thin as possible and still operate without having to cancel any flights.... We do still have about 55 pilots still on the street as before mentioned. However those whom have been recalled were those pilots whom were intended to be replacements for the J4J and some whom were hired to replace our guys who were to go to mainline. As you know mainline never took our pilots due to their own staffing levels and cuts.

Thus the one time this company has been proactive in "hiring" and bringing more pilots on property they got hosed over with the 70 plus guys who were to go to mainline never got called up (that also can be blamed on our mgt as well for not hiring at the right time). So it just appears they are very VERY hesitant to bring anyone back in fear of having too many pilots.... :( I wish we could get more people back. Unlike others here who sit reserve, I mean as a website, I have no desire to fly all the time and brag about collecting per diem and making it sound like we make a killing being a regional FO. I rather have more days on reserve which I am not used and thus more time at home with my fiance and new house. However until staffing levels are changed I will continue to be used my 21 days of reserve and only have 10 days off... In only 5 months of being back I know I'm damn near 300 plus hours.... Seems sort of crazy when your reserves are flying that amount.... But again, I only can assume its normal for PSA....

The second, they are doing what they are required to do.

At least the situation he is speaking about it was a forced assignment of a management pilot. Not done by choice. Plus our management pilots MUST fly a certain amount a month and they are not paid over their salary (correct me if I am wrong Ethan/Jeremy).

At my airline (xjt) there is no stipulation that says captains cannot be used as FOs. All it says is captains will be paid as captains no matter what. Nor are those trips shown available in Captain open time.

In my case I was on reserve (eternal) and it was simply the assignment that I got.

I understand from a furloughed pilot's point of view this is BS. I'd say look at the big picture. Is the airline constantly doing this? Are all reserve pilots being used consistently? If the answer is yes, then yeah I agree that it's BS. If you tell me it happens once in a while when a base in in melt-down mode, well...maybe it's not in the company's best interest to have those extra bodies around.

I know in CAL's case over the summer with guys on the street they were offering FO trips in open time to Captains....at time and a half. BS.

Here at PCL, it's only check airmen/management pilots that can fly in the left seat (and the 30 guys that got displaced, but that's a different matter). Even then, it's voluntary. I've heard scheduling frantically calling check airmen, assistant chief pilots and guys in the training department trying to get flights covered. If they don't take the flight, it's gonna cancel. The management guys almost always take it, the check airmen almost always don't.

One of our MEM check airmen was down in the crew room a while back, and scheduling called to ask him if he'd fly up in DTW as an FO on his day off. I asked him if they were gonna still pay him CA or check airman pay, and his response was "Don't know. I hung up on them before we even got to the pay part. I heard "FO" and "day off," and that was it."

Back