Proper way to check on with tower

Alchemy

Silly Question:

What's the proper way to check on with tower after being handed off from approach?

For years I've been checking on with my call sign, type of approach, and runway (Gotham Tower, Airliner 1234, Visual, Runway 36). I'm not sure if this is correct, and for some reason was thinking about it tonight. Anyone care to correct me?

Most people have checked in similar with me. Maybe add in a location on the approach. I guess generally if you are flying with an airline, the airport you fly into has a DBrite in the tower and can see you, but you can't always assume they do, so they may not know exactly where you are, especially if flying into an airport where another airport, or center, handles the radar services, but yeah just something like "xxxtower, xxx1234, outside the marker, ils 30L"

If I'm VFR it'll go something like this:

"Toledo Tower, Cessna 11142 10 out for the left base runway 25"
or
"Toledo Tower, Cessna 11142 10 out for straight in runway 34"
or
"Toledo Tower, Cessna 11142 10 out for the right downwind runway 7"

If I'm IFR it goes like this:

"Toledo Tower, Cessna 11142 visual/ILS runway 25"

(VFR) "Tower, Talon XXX, 10 north for the initial, 19L" or (IFR) "Tower, Talon XXX, final approach fix inbound, 3 down and locked"

Just some examples

(VFR) "Tower, Talon XXX, 10 north for the initial, 19L" or (IFR) "Tower, Talon XXX, final approach fix inbound, 3 down and locked"

Just some examples

Or for being handed off from approach to tower while on an instrument approach, use the fix name you're approaching, crossing or inside. Ie: "XX, outside HIGBY inbound, gear, option."

Any number of techniques available to accomplish the OPs question.

I loved it when the tower told me "Check gear down (or some thing like that). Clear to land."

I would check in as "Skyhawk 12345...."

I loved it when the tower told me "Check gear down (or some thing like that). Clear to land."

I would check in as "Skyhawk 12345...."

Many, esp at joint use fields, are required to do so normally, so it becomes habit with all traffic.

I use "Anchorage tower, Cessna xxxxx clear ILS 7R".

Random question, what is GCA? Sometimes approach will hand us off to Elmendorf GCA, and sometimes Elmendorf tower?

I use "Anchorage tower, Cessna xxxxx clear ILS 7R".

Random question, what is GCA? Sometimes approach will hand us off to Elmendorf GCA, and sometimes Elmendorf tower?

Ground Controlled Approach. Could be an ASR (Airport Surveillance Radar) or PAR (Precision Approach Radar) approach.

Note: The "gear down" call is only required of military aircraft and at military airfields.

Just some examples

Final approach fix gear down for us....the visual part is the same except for us its like "with you for the 3 mile initial"

Ground Controlled Approach. Could be an ASR (Airport Surveillance Radar) or PAR (Precision Approach Radar) approach.

Note: The "gear down" call is only required of military aircraft and at military airfields.

i think we are required to use it even if we are at civilian fields (AETC so it could just be an AETC thing), just so they can have it on the tapes that we made the call.

i think we are required to use it even if we are at civilian fields (AETC so it could just be an AETC thing), just so they can have it on the tapes that we made the call.

Yes. Some MAJCOMs require its use wherever you go regardless. ATCs that use it will be mil fields obviously, and joint-use fields for mil aircraft. Sometimes though, the controller says it out of habit to civil aircraft.

Okay, so the general consensus is that you should throw a position in there as well? e.g. "Gotham Tower, Airliner 1234, one zero DME, ILS runway 36"?

We are required to make a gear call at all airfields, civil or military. Most of the local civil fields will even ask for a gear call from us, though farther away from home field they tend not to. I had never done it as a civilian pilot prior to starting mil flying.

To add to the GCA question, you can consider an ASR to be analagous to a VOR-DME approach, and a PAR to be similar to an ILS approach. Both involve a ground controller sitting at a radar scope providing you with azimuth and range info. The PAR also adds a precision glidepath to the mix (where an ASR only has an MDA and recommended intermediate altitudes) with significantly more accurate azimuth info. Generally they are done on a discrete frequency and they are very straightforward; it of course involves a much easier scan since you are getting verbal commands for heading and (in the case of a PAR) glideslope corrections throughout the approach. Preferred method for most Navy aircraft (as most don't have ILS).

We are required to make a gear call at all airfields, civil or military. Most of the local civil fields will even ask for a gear call from us, though farther away from home field they tend not to. I had never done it as a civilian pilot prior to starting mil flying.

To add to the GCA question, you can consider an ASR to be analagous to a VOR-DME approach, and a PAR to be similar to an ILS approach. Both involve a ground controller sitting at a radar scope providing you with azimuth and range info. The PAR also adds a precision glidepath to the mix (where an ASR only has an MDA and recommended intermediate altitudes) with significantly more accurate azimuth info. Generally they are done on a discrete frequency and they are very straightforward; it of course involves a much easier scan since you are getting verbal commands for heading and (in the case of a PAR) glideslope corrections throughout the approach. Preferred method for most Navy aircraft (as most don't have ILS).

Thanks.:)

Many, esp at joint use fields, are required to do so normally, so it becomes habit with all traffic.

I always enjoyed that flying the old 172's at the aero club at Osan AFB...that is if the haze was above 3 miles and we could actually go do some flying.

"XXX Tower, this is XXX on a visual/ILS/GPS/etc. approach, left/right base/downwind/or straight-in, to runway XXX" and then anything like "we have the MD88 in sight" or whatever is applicable.

"Norfolk tower, howdy there partner, its Slowtation two seventy six sugar pop lookin for a clearance to lay some rubber on runway 5...OVER!"

Back