Progressives

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
I know I’m getting old because I’m starting a thread about progressive lenses. Actually to share my experience with you and offer some advice. I know my near vision was deteriorating because I was having to zoom the heck out of my iPad screen to read the small print on the charts. Eventually I bought some drug store cheaters and used those for a while until at my last recurrent I realized that the PowerPoint slides were a little fuzzy too. So I went to an eye doctor and was told my distance vision was no longer 100% either.

She recommended trifocals but suggested progressives as an option. The challenge for pilots is that we need to be able to focus on infinity out the window, mid range vision for the panel, close up for the EFB, close up for the overhead panel. So I started doing some research on Progressives. I quickly found out that most pilots recommend Varilux lenses, so I went to an eye doctor that specialized in those, explained the issue and my specific needs and then sat down with the retail flunkies that worked selling frames in the lobby to order.

I didn’t know any better so just ordered frames that I liked, the cheapest Varilux lenses I could buy - the comfort series. When I got them two weeks later, I was really disappointed. If I wasn’t looking directly at something, I couldn’t see it. Near vision was ok, but mid and distance were garbage. And the magnetic clip on sunshades were polarized, so no bueno.

Took them back to the store and spoke with the lab manager. First thing she says is, “oh, you’re a pilot. No sunshades for you. They only make polarized.” Then she took some measurements and explained that the frames that I LIKE, may not be appropriate for progressives. Position of those lenses on your face are more important than regular glasses because of where you look through the lens for each area of correction. Ordered that pair, and two weeks later they showed up.

They were better, but I still had to look precisely at an object for it to be clear. I tried them at work and realized I how virtually no peripheral vision. So if I wanted to see the engine gauges I couldn’t just turn my eyes to peek at them, I had to turn my entire head. Nope.

Back to the eye doctor again. This time I called Esillor first. They are the manufacturer of the Varilux lenses. I explained the situation. They completely understood and recommended that I try one more time, but this time with the X Series. That’s their highest end lens but has a much wider ”channel” for corrected areas, and a smoother transition between. Game changer!

Yes, these are expensive, but I can see perfectly even in my peripheral vision. Reading is just learning to tilt my head up a little bit to look through the bottom of the lenses. Virtually seamless transitions with little to no waviness.

So if you too are generation X and looking at needing more than drugstore cheaters, don’t waste time, go right to Varilux X series.

HAHA... I thought this was going to be political.

As to progressive lenses. I have them and didn't like them at first. Takes a week to get used to. As to functionality, I've always felt the area focused for near vision was too small. I didn't go back and have adjustments done like you did, I just live with it. Good to know there is a better brand out there that worked well for you. I'm way past time for a new glasses so I'll look into them.

I’m just waiting for the day my near vision no longer passes and I have to get bifocals. I’ll keep this in mind when that happens.

Thanks for the write up. I got progressives last January and have not been happy since. I'm fine in bright daylight but from dusk til dawn I basically have tunnel vision as I have only one small spot I can focus through to see anything. Plus it was a 20 minute fight at the AME to find the right spot to look through for the various lines on the eye chart.

I am also wearing Progressives and finding now that I need a tweak to my near vision for the overhead panel - it's a bit too close. When I wrench on the RV I have to keep a pair of drugstore 2.0+ cheaters in my pocket so I can do the close up work. Lighting helps a lot more too.

It turns out that they now make progressive contact lenses, and I'm going to talk to my eye doc about these, because if I could get decent vision with contact lenses and not need frames, I'd be pretty happy. I'll let you know what he says. I've made a point to get some measurements between my face and the instrument panels so we can make things work.

I wear them when I get tired/lazy. I’m probably not going to get another set as I primarily just need a basic set of 1.75 readers when I get tired.

I've been wearing progressives for over 20 years. if I move my head to bring something into focus, I haven't been aware of it since the first hour I wore them.

Just accept your fate.

Wait another few years (if it hasn't already) when your metabolism throws out the speed brakes.

That was just annoying AF.
As my ninety-two year old father is fond of saying, "growing old ain't for the faint of heart".

Just accept your fate.

Wait another few years (if it hasn't already) when your metabolism throws out the speed brakes.

Between that and the hair follicles (at least the ones on your head) no longer functioning... just put me out of my misery

Your transition to major airline Captain is complete.

Thanks for the write-up. Maybe now I'm not destined to be the captain with three pairs of glasses hanging from his person.

Thanks for the breakdown. I was recently prescribed progressive lenses, ugh. However, haven't done any shopping for them yet. So this is great info to have when I do start looking.

Thanks for the breakdown. I was recently prescribed progressive lenses, ugh. However, haven't done any shopping for them yet. So this is great info to have when I do start looking.

You get used to the micro-tilts of the head.

I've now taken some measurements of my eyes to the overhead panel, and figured out a couple other adjustments I want my eye doc to make - I need the top of the reader range raised a couple mm, and my mid-range adjusted. I think he can do this - he's really big on customizing. I know there are eye docs who specialize in working with pilots for this kind of thing, too.

Just accept your fate.

Aging sucks.

You still feel 25 and have all the ambitions and intentions of that age, but when you look in the mirror, you see your dad and, well, sh--, I kind of feel like just sitting on the couch and oogling the women on The Price Is Right.

"Manuela... A OOOOOOga, honka honka!"

"What was that?"

"Oh, uhh, I was just clearing my throat, it's so arid in here, we should get that real good humidifier we saw in the AARP ad. Do we have any pears? Jonathan from Colonial Penn with that $9.99 insurance policy is on, BRING ME MY QUILL AND INK"

Back