Progress Update

Lima_Charlie

It has been awhile since I have posted on my progress at PanAm, so I thought I would drop a quick note.

Well, I have been at Pan Am, DVT Campus, since September of 2003. As of today, I have my Private Instrument, and Multi-Engine Rating. I passed my ME checkride this afternoon. IMHO, the experience has been quite positive. I did go over budget on my private, as well as on my instrument, but that had nothing to do w/ the school or the quality of the instruction. It was mainly because I SUCKED at short and soft field landing, and just couldn't get the hang of the procedures for instrument approaches. I was right on the money for my ME rating, but that one is pretty short. Things just happen alot quicker in the Seminole than in an Archer! :) For a guy that came in w/ Zero time, I am quite satisfied w/ my progress. I am keeping up with many of the people that came in w/ a bunch of time, and passing up some of the students that were in classes before me. It is amazing how much easier it is to learn and study when you are truly interested in the subject!!

Anyway, I should be starting the "route" program this week, so I will start building my ME time. It will be nice not having to have my head in a book EVERY night for a change!

Well, that's it for now!

Thanks fellas... I am looking forward to route. I am hoping that the weather starts to clear up in some of our "destinations" as icing and what not are keeping the number of "routes" to a minimum.

It will also be nice to have my nose in a book all the time. I kind of feel like I can have a life!!!

Well, I finished route about 3 weeks ago and am 3/4 of the way through my CPSEL rating. All, I can say is.... I miss route!! It was not only a great learning experience, but it was quite fun!! The last 3 or 4 missions, at least 2-3 "pairs" would go to the same place due to weather. Needless to say, many "stories" came out those flights that will not soon be forgotten!

So any way, I am trying to get a handle on the new commercial manuevers, lazy 8's, and 8's on pylons seem to be the most challenging so far. I only have a few missions to go, so if anyone has any tips on how to nail these manuevers, I all "ears"!

Still quite pleased with my experience. Haven't run into any challenges that couldn't be fixed.

That's all for now...

Re: Progress Update - On to CFI!

Wow, it has been awhile... Amazing how time flies!!

So it is the middle of June, and Phx is scorching hot! What a time to get into the ole' Archer for some right seat orientation! I started my initial CFI training about 3 weeks ago. Flying from the right seat has been quite interesting! You wouldn't think retraining your right to do what is second nature to your left, would be that big of an issue. Well it is!

As usual, my biggest challenge is landing! My manuevers are coming along just find. I think I flew my best 8-on Pylons of my life! I got my FOI test and FIA test out of the way, so now it is all about lesson plans and learning how to teach EVEYTHING!!

The scary thing is to think that I have only been flying for about 9 months, and will be instructing in another 3 or 4!! CRAZY!!!

[ QUOTE ]
What a time to get into the ole' Archer for some right seat orientation!

[/ QUOTE ]

I always liked teaching the RSO unit. You'd get these students who were pretty good being that they just finished commerical and throw them in the other seat. Their first couple landings were always "interesting"

No Joke!!! I think the "funniest" thing my instructor said was... "I think this would be a good time for a go-around!" ( It might be funnier if you had been there... :) He was quite right!

Back