Problems with ERAU at DAB?

crichton91

Hey everyone,

I've been accepted to ERAU at DB for Fall 2001. I'm a community college student and ERAU has accepted almost all my classes (I'd have to complete about 75 units there because of what isn't offered elsewhere). I was planning on going with a full load for 2 years/attending in the summer and graduating in 2 years.

However, after talking to current students via chat it sounds like that may be unrealistic. One guy said he hadn't flown in 6 months. Everyone talked about the recent instructor strike and how difficult it was to get flight time. And now I'm questioning my decision and considering Sierra Academy since it's close to home. But again nobody has anything good to say about Sierra either.
crazy.gif

I don't know that I could afford 3 years and I'd hate to go through 2 years and discover I can't complete it and be mid-degree with no job.

Are there any AeroSci students at Embry who can shed some light on this and possibly give me some advice?

Marc,
I'm a student at ERAU's Part 141 flight school in Deland, FL (~15 miles west of Daytona). There was no CFI strike. The problems on the main campus is with the lack of CFI's. However, the school in Deland is fully staffed and looking for more students. There are several aero-sci students from the main campus who fly at CATER. They fly more often, in the same quality airplanes (we fly PA-28 Cadets vs C-172's), and the school provides free transportation to and from Deland. Don't worry about not completing your work in 2 years. Take advantage of the great opportunity you have!

Thanks for the info CATERstudent! You've reduced my blood pressure significantly!

I'm pretty sure there must have been an instructor strike though. At least 8 students told me there was one about 1 1/2 years ago and that the ramifications have continued to effect current situations on campus.

CATERstudent, do you know or could you ask if there is anything special that ERAU students have to do to have the privelidge of going to the Part 141 school? It seems like if anyone could go, that students would be flocking to take advantage of the opportunity.

Are there any current ERAU students who know? Also, does anyone know how difficult it is to get in upper-level classes? How effective is their registration system?

Thanks for any replies!!!

Marc, I'm not sure about the difficulty of joining the CATER program for a main campus student. However, there are several students who train in Deland. I don't expect you'll have any difficulty.

Thanks CATER,

I emailed CATER myself and asked them. Here's what they said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Dear Marc,
Thank you for your interest in the CATER program. First I'd like to
congratulate you on being accepted to ERAU. Unfortunately you cannot fly with
CATER if you are an Aeronautical Science student unless you get premission
from Ken Doucette who is in charge of the flight training at ERAU. We do have
several students from ERAU at CATER but they are sent here by Mr. Doucette and
that is how they are able to transfer their training from CATER into college
credits.

We would be happy to send you an information booklet outlining our program.

Again congratulations on being accepted to ERAU and thank you for your
interest in CATER. Best of luck in your aviation career, whatever path you
choose.

Sincerely,
Misti Howey
CATER
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm still interested in how difficult this is to do. Any ERAU AeroSci students out there who know?

According to some pilots I've spoken with, as well as some of those who frequent this site, with a resume that says ERAU on it, you are more likely to be hired by the majors faster than if you didn't. If you haven't been to the campus in DAB, I would go for a visit, and talk with some of the students in the Aero Science program and see what they have to say. I'm actually going to DAB for a few days to see what it looks like, and to get a tour. While I'm there, I'll sit down with admissions and go through the whole process of being accepted there. I plan to go for the visit this summer and try to get accepted this fall. If I'm accepted, I plan on going through summer at ERAU too. I live in the your area, and would like to ask you a few questions via e-mail regarding how you were accepted if that's OK.
cool.gif

Erik.

People say this to me all the time, and yes its true. When it comes to deciding whether a candidate is worthy of being hired, not going to ERAU or UND or someother well-known university and majoring in aerosci doesn't really make a difference, for the degree portion.

But what I say in response is that:

1. When it comes down to practical training, yes it does make a difference where you receive that education. With a well-known university that has a standardized training syllabus they follow strictly, you will learn what you need to know quicker. And thus, end up training your multi-engine students quicker which is the flight time you really need to build up to qualify for a job at the big guys.

You will also be more efficient and used to working the way airlines want their pilots to work. The airlines know this and they know you will make an easier transition into their training environment with that experience under your belt.

2. I want to be a pilot. I don't want to study history, marine biology, psychiatry, or any other profession. If I can get my degree studying what I love and possibly be a better pilot while doing it, why shouldn't I? As for a back-up, most jobs, like being a pilot, don't require a 4-year degree in that particular major in order to be hired.

3. The airline business, more so than a lot of other professions, is all about connections. Ask any person who hires pilots, and they'll tell you that if a candidate knows a person or better yet a couple of people who already work for the airline; and those people have nothing but good things to say about that candidate. They have a much better chance of being hired.

That may not be as important right now because of the pilot shortage, but who knows how long that will last and when a connection could be there when you need it. WHAT BETTER PLACE TO MAKE CONNECTIONS THAN AT A MAJOR AERONAUTICAL UNIVERSITY??? Your classmates are your future coworkers. 1 out of 4 pilots are ERAU alumni (source: "Private Pilot" magazine). Every year they have a job fair on campus where you get to meet recruiters from the companies you will want to work for. Those are some great opportunities to make those connections.

So, yes. Where you go and what your degree major is may not have an exact direct effect on a interviewer's decision. But indirectly, it may in fact have a huge effect on whether you're hired or not.

Marc,
Thank you for your above post. I get tired of hearing others say I'm wasting my time at ERAU (I'm attending the CATER program in Deland, FL). Not only am I making some very powerful connections, but I am also receiving some of the best training money can buy - from the best instructors available.

I have to throw in mine,,,,,,,

I think both are correct. It's very true, I'm proof, that you don't need to go to an aero-sci type school to get hired with somewhat low time. I firmly believe it does not help you get hired with an airline. However, I certainly would never say your wasting your time at ERAU,,,,it's a great school! People who say that are just jelous.

Another comment,,,,getting your degree in some other interest isn't a bad idea. It gives you something to fall back on in case your laid off (heaven forbid) or the airline your working for fails. That is until you get another flying job. I just say this in hopes you will weigh all your options b4 you decide what to do. For some reason, a lot of people think you either have to go to one of these big (most of them-rip off) flight schools or expensive aviation universities to be a successful professional pilot. It's not true,,,it's just not true. Once again ERAU is a great school, but expensive for what you get in my opinion.

So take it or leave it, I'm just saying look at the pros and cons of everything. Good luck and don't forget to have fun!

Marc,
I am a senior at ERAU Daytona. I will have completed all of my classes, and all of my flight training this Summer. I started school (in Daytona) on January on '99 with six credit hours to my name. No problems with getting an instructor for the flight part. We have tons of them right now, and many don't have enough students to fly all day, but that will change during the fall. If your motivated and dedicated, you will have no problem finishing in two years.

Back