Pro-Rata Share ???

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
Driving to work this morning, for some reason a question popped into my mind.

I am a PPL and am flying with a friend for 2 hours in a plane that rents for 100 an hour. The total cost of the flight with fuel, parking, etc... was $250. I can divide the cost and we each pay $125.

Now suppose I own the plane and the cost then sits at $50, because there is no rental involved. Can I only <charge> the other individual $25? Or...Could I have the individual pay a portion of what it would have cost to rent the plane?

Typing this out, I think I have answered my own question, but I wonder how others think.

[ QUOTE ]
Can I only <charge> the other individual $25? Or...Could I have the individual pay a portion of what it would have cost to rent the plane?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only the $25. If you could charge what it would cost to rent the airplane, then you could set your own price...why not just charge what it would cost to rent the plane in New Jersey? Or San Francisco?

Lloyd is absolutely right ... charge only the pro-rata share of the costs for that flight ... not what the same flight would cost IF you didn't own the airplane, IF you were in London, IF cows could swim the Channel, etc.

FL270

How about this scenario................Lets say you just got your pilots license at 17 and your parents paid for the training. You have no job and are completly dependant upon them. Now lets say they want to go flying for the day to some remote spot and want you to fly the aircraft. Can they rent the aircraft for you and pay the total cost? Or do you still have to pay your pro-rata share?

[ QUOTE ]
How about this scenario................Lets say you just got your pilots license at 17 and your parents paid for the training. You have no job and are completly dependant upon them. Now lets say they want to go flying for the day to some remote spot and want you to fly the aircraft. Can they rent the aircraft for you and pay the total cost? Or do you still have to pay your pro-rata share?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, that one is easy!! Just have them give you the money. Since you're not an adult, it's not your money anyway!! You're dependant upon them for everything!!!

Back