PRO PILOT

C650CPT

Welcome to all who visit this humble little corner, Now the questions for the masses. All who visit must answer, under penalty of death, or public embarassement and humiliation. We know who you are and where you live.

What defines a pilot as a professional?

When does one deserve the rank of professional?

Can a Professional loose his / her "salvation"?
ie: Can a pro loose the title Professional?

What can those of us who claim to be professionals do to best mentor "newby" pilots in thier quest for the Holy Grail of professionalism.

[ QUOTE ]
What defines a pilot as a professional?

[/ QUOTE ]
Too numerous to answer, but include:
Attitude
Appearance
Desire/drive to succeed and achieve success.

[ QUOTE ]
When does one deserve the rank of professional?

[/ QUOTE ]
I personally believe it is earned as opposed to deserved.

[ QUOTE ]
Can a Professional loose his / her "salvation"?
ie: Can a pro loose the title Professional?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.
Examples:
A pilot who leaves aviation for an extended period of time.
A person who no longer maintains a professional appearance/attitude, or uses profane vocabulary.

[ QUOTE ]
What can those of us who claim to be professionals do to best mentor "newby" pilots in their quest for the Holy Grail of professionalism.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't slander other employees or the company
Don't show up unshaven or with wrinkled attire.
Maintain good cockpit discipline, checklist, SOPs, etc.
Have a positive mental attitude.
Know when to draw the line (go/no go)
Keep an open mind
Don't assume a "newby" does or doesn't know something...ask.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

That should do for an opening salvo.

I being a fresh fish, newbie, wet behind the ears etc and so on so forth can only offer my experiences from other fields.
I feel to be a professional at anything you must be well informed on all aspects of your postion and line of work. You must be adaptable and able to handle changing circumstances without 'blowing your top'. Always come prepared and ready to work. As far as as not being a professional as pilot i would rank them on a top ten list.

10 WAYS TO NOT BE CONSIDERED A PRO PILOT

1) Ask, "Where is the gas pedal?"

2) Do Doughnuts on the taxiway

3) FIle an expense report at your airline for a horn you place on your plane that plays "La Cucaracha"

4) Come to work wearing jeans and a T-shirt with the little plastic Pan Am wings pinned to your John Deere hat

5) Reqest cocktails once you are on autopilot

6) When you hear about icing shout that you have a great recipe for it that your Aunt Helda gave you

7) Ask your co-pilot, "What do the little clocks do?"

8) When experiencing turbulence jubilantly anounce, "Weeeeee airplane ride airplane ride!"

9) Re-enact the flight of Wrongway Corrigan

10) Complete logbooks in Crayola Crayons

Back