Private Multi w/ Instrument

ozziecat35

4 out of 5 great lakes prefer Michigan.
I also posted in the Announcements section, but figured I'd elaborate more on the checkride here...

Just passed my PPL Multi Addon along with the instrument carry over (single engine ILS). I did it with LH out of DPA. I'm currently at ATP so everything is in the Seminole. I was extremely nervous going in since this was the first active flying I've done since 2007. TT going in was about 110 hours all in Single Engines and back from 2007 like I mentioned. I already hold my PPL & Instrument (but with no BFR and my Instrument has lapsed and still requires and IPC).

So there's my background, I met my DPE and we started around 3 pm. Went through all the legal stuff, (DL, Cert, Medical, 8710, etc.) Went into the oral and all I had to do was prove to her the aircraft was airworthy, we then went into systems (propeller/fuel/electrical/gear) then into performance using the current weather. Afterwards we hit on ADM regarding single engine operations. We hit on factors affecting VMC and the oral was basically done about an hour into it. She briefed how she would run the flight portion and allowed me to ask questions. I also briefed her (already stepping into PIC role) on a few checklist items I've moved and on positive exchange of controls if needed.

I went out and preflighted our Seminole and handled the passenger briefing as if she was a non pilot per her instructions earlier in the briefing. Taxi out and normal departure to the West out of Dupage. Clouds were low at about 5500 feet and broken, so we stayed at 4700 feet for the maneuvers. Did some clearing turns then 1 steep turn, direction my choice, then slow flight straight into the power off stall. During the next clearing turn got my engine failure and secure. For whatever reason I hit the right rudder even though she failed the right engine. Didn't lose any altitude however and got in sorted out. Secured the engine then did my power on stall. Emergency descent out of 4500 down to 3500 and then I got setup for the ILS into Aurora. I went under the hood and she failed the engine about 8 miles from the IAF. I was solid until almost halfway down when I started to focus on my airspeed and that I was a little fast. (100 kias vs. 88 kias) Once I started chasing that I got sloppy both vertically and laterally, but not more then a dot either way. She gave me the visual well above minimums and I continued the landing full stop single engine.

Departing ARR we did a short field departure and on departure got my upwind engine failure...did the same thing, right engine failed but stomped on the right rudder, sorted it out immediately though and "secured." Got it the engine back and returned to Dupage which happens very quickly when you leave Aurora. Setup for the shortfield onto 2L at DPA, and then we were done.

My examiner had a few valid points to discuss, but based on my lack of currency she was very impressed at both my instrument skills and overall composure which was nice to hear. We did a very thorough debrief with my instructor as points of emphasis for him as well. (My examiner felt that perhaps the whole right rudder thing was a rote behavior and trained in, so a point of emphasis there as well...)

Onto the commercial time building (TT is now 114 hours, 9.9 ME)

Congrats! I wouldn't worry too much about being a little fast when singled up. Especially while on an ILS approach. Much better than being slow and approaching Vmc land.

Good job on maintaining your altitude that far outside of the IAF in a PA-44. It can be difficult, requiring perfect rudder and aileron control, especially if it's a hot and humid summer day! I found myself in the same situation during my ride, but had no choice but to drift down. Luckily, I had enough altitude and hit the glide slope 200' low. My DE told me that he did it on purpose because there are many accidents in which pilot's add back pressure to hold altitude and end up approaching Vmc.

Having your multi private will be nice; it's awesome to be able to log the PIC time during your commercial.

Congrats! I'm at ATP in Arlington Texas, and will be taking my private pilot check ride pretty soon. Any tips or suggestions??

Memorize the checklist flows and the configurations for the maneuvers. Think before doing anything. Sterile cockipit during taxi and make sure you have a taxi diagram out while you're on the ground, even if you've flown at that airport your whole life.

Back