Private Checkride Question

EvanD15

I've completed everything on the private pilot syllabus and was talking with my instructor about scheduling my oral and checkride with the examiner yesterday. After calling and scheduling, and learning that the examiner's fee was $400, I asked if there was a cheaper option. Another flight instructor spoke up and said that I could call the FSDO and schedule a checkride through one of their inspectors, for free, but that was pretty much all the information I could get.

I'm sure there is a reason that the flight school defaults to using the same DPE for all student checkrides, but it seems to me to be worth at least trying to get a free one? Anyone had any experience with this?

There are several reasons instructors do this.
1. To get an inspector might not be an option, since they are busy and might take quite some time to schedule. This would not benefit your proficiency.
2. The flight school usually cooperates with some DPEs and can get you schedules quite fast.
3. School and instructors pretty much know exactly what questions are going to come up on the oral and what the DPE does in the air. This makes it easier for them to prepare you for the exact checkride. (Not saying this is the best way, if you are ready your are ready for anyone)
4. Many instructors are afraid to send students with inspectors since there seem to be higher failure rate with them than with an DPE
etc etc

DPEs are a faster and usually more fair option as its all they do.

The FAA can put you on a waiting list that could be months and with sequester read years. Also the Feds are usually more to a "T" and will give zero slack if you're a chuck Yeager.

$400 for a DPE sounds on par these days. I think I paid $300 back in '04

I'm sure there is a reason that the flight school defaults to using the same DPE for all student checkrides, but it seems to me to be worth at least trying to get a free one? Anyone had any experience with this?

You can try, but usually the reason the FSDO has DPEs in the first place is that the examiners are too busy.

Every examiner is going to have their own style and emphasis areas (they are people), so you are probably better prepared for the one your school typically uses anyway.

I would say that inspectors might be (or at least perceived to be) more fair than DPEs... they do not have any monetary interest in failing you.
They are strictly by the book. If you know your stuff you should be fine. Go over the PTS and make sure you can explain everything that is required and make sure you know your practical stuff.

Thanks for the quick help guys, I appreciate it. Guess I'll just suck it up and pay it so I can keep moving.

On the other hand, sounds like DPE might be a very lucrative side job haha

Ohhh yeah... but the FAA have changed the rules now, i think they can only do 2 check rides a day and one retake.
If you want to make easy money, you should become a proctor at an JAA/EASA test facility. they get about 110$ per student and exam. Straight in their pocket. Nor prior experience needed either!

Not sure what fsdo region you are in, but I can tell you as a dpe myself, that the fsdo, as a general rule, will NOT do a Private ride. Generally only cfi initials. As far as price, we all charge roughly the same to avoid undercutting each other. Good luck and if you are in the phx area, pm me.

DPEs are a faster and usually more fair option as its all they do.

The FAA can put you on a waiting list that could be months and with sequester read years. Also the Feds are usually more to a "T" and will give zero slack if you're a chuck Yeager.

$400 for a DPE sounds on par these days. I think I paid $300 back in '04
Not all we do! We are required to have other revenue (pic) flying...and to the OP...nothing in this endeavor is free!

Not all we do! We are required to have other revenue (pic) flying...and to the OP...nothing in this endeavor is free!
Sorry I shouldn't have said that's all you do, but an FAA inspector rarely if ever does them and I think would be more letter of the law and doesn't really know what to look for in a good applicant.

But I agree with what you're saying, the DPEs are worth the few bucks in cash compared to the headache of dealing with a FSDO. Besides its like 8 grand for a PPL these days, the DPE cost is only like 5%.

Good luck getting a FSDO to do a ride that isn't a CFI initial, I did my initial and 3 weeks later called to schedule my CFII and they couldn't get me back on the schedule for 2 months....they seem to only take time for initial instructor rides.

But if you can get on the schedule why not its free!

$400 is the going rate in my area, so sounds fair. Just part of the cost. At least you know after you hit 1500 hours you can be pulling in $18-25K/year...probably more if you're working a 2nd job like most 1st year FO's. ;)

Paid $400 for mine last year, as well... Being that he drove about 2 hours to meet me at my home airport, I felt that was well deserved.

However, I also made sure I asked about the cost for any re-examination when I made the initial appointment. Much to my surprise, he said he wouldn't charge for the retest, just ask for some mileage money. Definitely put me at ease going into the test that I wouldn't be "failed" so he could make an extra buck.

Ended up paying the $400 yesterday, but everything went smooth and I passed. Thank you guys for all your help

Reactions: PK
Back