prison riot

SEAN

actual tfr from the faa website...anyone live near here? kinda made me laugh

Actual TFR
FDC 4/0489 ZAB AZ.. FLIGHT RESTRICTION, LEWIS STATE PRISON, AZ. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(2) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT WITHIN A 3 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF: 331208N/1123929W AND THE BUCKEYE /BXK/ VORTAC 138 DEGREE RADIAL AT 017.5 NAUTICAL MILES AT AND BELOW 5,000 FEET AGL TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FROM THE PRISON RIOT. THE MARACOPA DEPT. OF PUBLIC SAFTEY, PHONE 602-256-1030, IS IN CHARGE ON SCENE EMERGENCY RESPONSE ACT- IVITIES. THE PRESCOTT /PRC/ AFSS, PHONE 928-778-7810, IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY
Actual TFR

We've had about a two week hostage crisis here in PHX.

Meanwhile, our very own Sherrif Joe Arpaio is too busy admonishing Tower Records to stop distribution of an album that calls him into question to even mention the sad state of affairs of our state prison system or the hostage situation.

[ QUOTE ]
TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT WITHIN A 3 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF: 331208N/1123929W AND THE BUCKEYE /BXK/ VORTAC 138 DEGREE RADIAL AT 017.5 NAUTICAL MILES AT AND BELOW 5,000 FEET AGL TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FROM THE PRISON RIOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly is a prison riot a threat to air safety? And why is 5000 AGL needed for this, but only 3000 for stadiums, etc?

Who's protecting who from whom????

It's to keep the news copters away. If the TFR wasn't there I'm sure we'd have had one or two crash from fuel exhaustion due to hovering over the site too long.
smirk.gif

We call 'em "Chopperazzi" for a reason out here!
tongue.gif

Chopperazzi, I love it!

"Hi I'm Bruce Haffner in NewsChopper blah blah live on the scene of a sprained ankle at Dobbins road and Dysart...it....it....it looks like the child's mother is approaching....there it is...she's picking up the crying child and walking her to the car...."

"Bruce? Can you hear me?"

"...yes..."

"What type of car is the mother driving and which medical center do you think she'll go to?"

"...ahh....wait....Bell 123 has traffic in site, we'll stay south of Sky Harbor...Sorry about that..just...talking to air traffic control....Ahh.. it looks like she's heading up highway 60...."

"A sad story...in other news, Chandler police say..."

yeah, i wondered why they needed such a high tfr....but it makes sense. I know i would feel inclined to fly over and check it out. there is a small prison near my airport, but nothing tht will ever produce a riot. The fox5 chopper flies outta manassas, but all they ever do is traffic....in the DC area i think that is more than enough for them to cover....must not be alot going on in AZ ,eh doug?

Aside from our insane car theft problem AZ - PHX especially - is actually really pretty safe. Of course I'm from St. Louis who in the past ten years has led the murder rate (per capita) in the country at least three times and St. Louis proper only has a pop. of 300k or so!
shocked.gif

Warden put a NOTAM for the county jail
Student pilots/CFIs began to wail
The FBO was jumpin’ and began to swing
You should’ve heard those knocked out dispatchers sing

Sorry! Got carried away there, but that was the first thing that came to mind
grin.gif

Not only is the TFR due to News Choppers, but also it allows law enforcement aviation units space to operate unrestricted without worry that "gapers" would fly by to take a peek.

During the Waco seige, our ERAU/NIFA flight team busted the restricted airspace around the compound. D'oh!

and we thought Florida news stations were bad..... it's pretty interesting here when it's a "slow" news day!!

no.. those are just the "minor" criminals... what they do is take the "bad" guys as they call them - you know ticket offenders, drug dealers, minor offender guys and put them in what's called "tent city" where they get cots, balony sandwiches, no cable etc etc.... but the big bad guys who go to prison get shelter, 3 meals a day, cable tv, internet access AND schooling....

seems bizarre huh... i think Sherriff Joe is trying to make it a "don't come back" type thing but i don't think it's working that well since the tent is overflowing most of the time!!

Those are the low threat prisoners. You know, the guys that violated probation, or didnt' pay a speeding ticket.

But the real dangerous felons are are too tough for Joe Arpaio.

Back