PRIA Question?

mshunter

Seeing as how it didn't gain much traction in the General forum, I figured I'd post it here. I recently got an email from ALPA about how people are being suspended for sick calls. The policy is complete crap, as it encourages pilots to fly sick. I don't understand how the union let this one through, or how the POI is okay with it. That's beside the point. Recently, the FAA issued a LOI about PRIA paper work, and how it should be filed, which, as usual, left more questions than answers. From what I can gather, it basically states that unless it is related to "pilot performance," it doesn't belong on PRIA paper work, i.e. a sick call that results in suspension. Here is the LOI. Specifically, it states:

With regard to the example disciplinary records referenced in your inquiry, we conclude that the
disciplinary action record regarding the pilot's use of a company aircraft to attend a public relations event, without the Medical Program Director's permission, is not covered by the statute and thus, the employer is not required to furnish this record in response to a PRIA request. The underlying event and nature of the resulting disciplinary action do not relate to pilot performance because there is no indication that the pilot's actions impacted the safe operation of the aircraft. Indeed, the crux of the pilot's dispute with the employer appears to be whether the pilot, in fact, had permission to attend the public relations event, not whether the pilot's actions indicated an error in judgment or performance during any part of the operation of the aircraft for purposes of the public relations event attended.

There is also a word document they have issued about what should be reported, and it says specifically,

3. Disciplinary Actions that are unrelated to a termination or release from employment, and have been imposed on a pilot by the employer, should only be reported if they involve the individual’s performance as a pilot, and have not been subsequently overturned. Other employment related actions that have nothing to do with the pilot’s flight duties resulting in a disciplinary action, but not discharge or termination, should not be reported. (49 U.S.C. § 44703(h)(1)(B)(ii)(II))"

Seems to me, that when the union said that "We have actually seen several pilots face termination recently. Bear in mind that suspensions and terminations are mandatory PRIA reporting events," they got it wrong. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Attendance issues may get you terminated but it will not show up on PRIA. Even JO/Mesa Airlines did not put anything but the required items in PRIA*. I think your MEC may be operating under a misunderstanding.

* When I was on the grievance committee I knew someone who was terminated from Mesa for such a reason, and the only thing Mesa sent to his next employer was a 1 page list of his training events / dates, essentially.

Back