PRIA Complaint.

I've been told by the FAA that failure to comply with PRIA can result in federal penalties, but who knows how that statement applies in real life.

I think that is only when another potential employer make the prima submission. Not the person trying to get the job. The person getting the job can be charged.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

$50 is probably below cost, believe it or not. The actual labor involved is probably a lot more than you think, especially when you figure in the total number of people involved in the process (from the person taking the request, the person that verifies that the pilot was an employee and that the request is valid, to the supervisor directing, to the person pulling the file(s), to the large amount of time taken to determine and sort which pages in the employee file are pertinent to the request, to the actual copying and mailing, then on the back end there is labor in billing and processing payment - it all adds up even when the small things are just a few minutes each), and that actual cost to the company is much higher than just wages when you add benefits and overhead costs.

I'll bet the company loses money at $50.

I guess you could say it's the cost of doing business?
EVERY cost (from paperclips to jet fuel) is a "cost of doing business". In this case the regulation that requires a company to provide this information also allows them to recoup cost. From a business standpoint it would be silly to incur a cost without charging for it for absolutely no reason, no?

Do they charge the company looking for the PRIA paper work? Or just the guy whos requesting his records?

I'm not sure. My assumption is that the providing company is required to supply the information to the hiring company for free, but is allowed to charge for additional copies to the former employee. Don't quote me on that.

EVERY cost (from paperclips to jet fuel) is a "cost of doing business". In this case the regulation that requires a company to provide this information also allows them to recoup cost. From a business standpoint it would be silly to incur a cost without charging for it for absolutely no reason, no?

So charge me for the paper clip. Don't charge me for the someone else requesting the paper work. I think I am doing a bad job at articulating what I am getting at. Just run a damn copy of the work you already did. If the $50.00 in man power is so much that you can't afford to get the PRIA paper work done, or it's going to run you out of business, then you have a bad business model. It's like taking you car to the mechanic, getting some work done, and two guys have to get their hands dirty. So they BOTH charge you to R&R the cylinder heads because they both need to inspect them. Only they were taken off by the first guy, and the second guy is still charging you to R&R them, even though they were sitting on the bench.

My point making sense now? Sorry, no one told me I needed to be smart to fly an airplane.

So charge me for the paper clip. Don't charge me for the someone else requesting the paper work.

You're not being charged because someone else requested the paper work, you're being charged because you asked for a copy also. You are no longer an employee of the company, so why should they do you a courtesy of supplying something for free that costs them money?

I think I am doing a bad job at articulating what I am getting at. Just run a damn copy of the work you already did. If the $50.00 in man power is so much that you can't afford to get the PRIA paper work done, or it's going to run you out of business, then you have a bad business model.

I didn't say that the company couldn't afford to do the paperwork, nor that it would run them out of business. All I'm saying is that YOUR request for a copy of the paperwork costs the company, there is no reason (legal nor moral) for the company to NOT recoup some of that cost, so why should they give away for free something that they can get a small return back on?

It's like taking you car to the mechanic, getting some work done, and two guys have to get their hands dirty. So they BOTH charge you to R&R the cylinder heads because they both need to inspect them. Only they were taken off by the first guy, and the second guy is still charging you to R&R them, even though they were sitting on the bench.

My point making sense now? Sorry, no one told me I needed to be smart to fly an airplane.

I'm really not seeing this how this example pertains to the discussion. :)

Back