Pressure on students?

pscraig

I'm looking at ATP and everything so far seems good. They have a solid reputation. I have read elsewhere regarding a potential negative about ATP, and would like some comments: what kind of pressure are you under at ATP? There is a 90-day course timeline, so how much pressure is applied? Are the instructors generally helpful and patient, or do they expect perfection the first time?

I can't speak on behalf of every instructor with ATP, but the instructors I had when I went through the program and the instructors who I now share my day with are all helpful and patient.
Realistically speaking, noone can or do expect perfection the first time.
What I personally do expect though is an effort.

If I call you up two weeks before your start date and tell you to know a small blurb on page 32 of our training supplement called 'Power Settings' by the time you show I expect you to make an effort to do this.
smile.gif

If I tell you to go home and study single engine aerodynamics I expect you to do this. Do I expect you to show the next day and be able to spit out flawless facts and definitions? Not at all. I do expect to see a glimmer of recognision in your eyes though when I bring up the acronym 'PAST'.

If you don't, I'll focus and concentrate more on the other students who do apply themselves.
smile.gif

The pressure is far from inhuman. Frankly, I was worried before I started too, for this very reason, but I was positivly surprised.
Up until I started flying I was never a good student, never applied myself (Got a 4 year college degree in Comp. Sci.), but once I started flying and discovered just how much I love it, picking up the books was something I did because I wanted to, not because someone told me to, and that made a huge difference.

Cheers,
Helge

I've got to agree w/ Helge on this. I am a natural slacker student when school is involved. Throughout high school and college, I don't think I ever read a book cover to cover. however, when I started flying, I read my entire Jepp PPM and now the Instr/Comm Manual. That's part of the reason you go to ATP after you have your PPL. You KNOW ahead of time that this is what you want to do and you're willing to commit yourself to it. It's not a job and it's not work...it's FUN!

BTW Helge: P-Factor, Accelerated Slipstream, Spiraling Slipstrem and Torque!
cool.gif
I'm starting in October and have my books!

Steve

Sounds like I will fit in well. My bedside reading is a book about advanced navigation techniques, and the CRM book is next. Like you, I haven't finished a book in years until I started flying. Now I have a bookshelf full...navigation, systems, weather....and I read them all. Interesting stuff!

Back