President Obama, MCAS Cherry Point, NC

JimmyK

If anyone didnt watch the news today, President Obama came to Cherry Point/Camp Lejeune today to give a speech to the 8,000(correct me if that number is incorrect) Marines deploying for Afghanistan soon. Me, being my awesome self was one of the few controllers chosen to be there today. Although I didn't actually get to talk to the aircraft I did get the opportunity to be on the ramp when Air Force One arrived. The Pictures were taken with my camera phone because initially we were told no cameras but found out early this morning that wasn't going to be an issue. No matter what your political affiliation its still amazing to get the opportunity to be in the presence of the most powerful man in the world and our commander in chief. Here's the pics.

Here he comes, this is the radar target for Air Force 1

IMG00178.jpg

A little bit better picture

IMG00179.jpg

And another one of the scope, Air Force 1 is the blip on the top of the picture, Cherry Point is in the middle of that X towards the bottom The blip to the left(west) of Cherry Point is a UH-1, call sign "Headhunter", all they told us was there was Secret Service on board that one, and nothing else.

IMG00180.jpg

Those of us who were in the building were told that we couldn't leave until the aircraft came to a complete stop, so this is AF1 rolling up and me snapping a shot through the glass window in the door.

IMG00185.jpg

Finally he stops and after confirming with the Secret Service agent inside we go out side and wait for the President.

IMG00187.jpg

And, here he is. Yes, I know the quality is crappy but its all I had, I had some friends get some better pics, so I'll post those if I get the chance.

IMG00191.jpg

The President stopped and shook hand with the troops before heading off into Marine 1 for the short flight to Camp Lejeune. This is the hoard of Marines, clamoring to get a picture with the Commander in Chief.

IMG00193.jpg

And here he is walking towards Marine 1, I had it zoomed in and it made the picture smaller, dont know why.

IMG00196.jpg

Marine One rolling out with the President on board.

IMG00198.jpg

Thats all I got really. No one was allowed on the ramp for the departure so I just have some blurry through the glass shots that really aren't worth showing. Hope you enjoyed them.

Nice shots. I've had the opportunity to work ground support for AF1 before, the last time I got to drive the airstairs up to the door that Pres. Bush came out of. Like you said, it doesn't matter if you are a fan of the guy or not, its impressive to see the airplane and the associated support equipment that is needed.

Oh cool. Air France flight 1 came to Cherry Point.

How did a military ATC installation end up with that tag? They should be the first to know that its A1.

How did a military ATC installation end up with that tag? They should be the first to know that its A1.

I said the same thing when the strip popped out of the FDIO printer. Don't know why they did that, maybe because A1 would just look odd? Steak sauce anyone?

Cool pics, Semper Fi and thanks for serving. I never made it up to Cherry Point but spent way to much time at Lejeune!

Actually it is one of the weird quirks "A" is in fact the designator for Air Force but Air Force 1 is always "AF1", Always.

7110.65s

4-3-2
For Air Force One (AF1) operations, do not

specify the destination airport.

Back