Preparing to Solo

Windchill

Let's just say the past few weeks have been frustrating as I've gotten closer and closer to being ready to solo . . . the weather keeps me grounded to delay the much anticipated event!

Today, I get out to the airport despite the winds being horrendous, and the plane is under going an oil change . . . well I kind of didn't mind because of the wind, but everything was okay since I ended up spending the time taking the pre-solo written exam and going over soloing with my instructer.

Now I'm excited as taking the test and having that signed off just reinforces how close I am to making the trip myself and logging PIC hours. Not to worry, I am also mindful of the responsibilities and dangers ahead, and will not take the event lightful . . . but it feels better to have something that shows progress.

Unfortunately, looking at the forecast, mother nature continues to stay on my bad side with the two good days coming when my CFI is off and I don't fly . . . but hopefully things will change.

Any words of wisdom for that first trip alone?

Don't think about it too much. You'll work your nerves up too much.

On my first solo, I felt so routine with the airplane that I forgot I was alone. I looked over at the passenger seat and it dawned on me that my instructor was on the ground.

My word of wisdom is have FUN and fly the plane, it is what you are training for.
wink.gif

Ray,

Congratulations on being ready to solo! Flying the airplane by yourself for the first time is the first true milestone in your aviation career.

As far as advice is concerned, just think back to all the previous flights you and your instructor have done together... Who was flying the plane 99% of the time? You were, and if you have been doing a satisfactory job of that, there's no reason why you can't do just as well by yourself!

You know your ready, and your instructor knows your ready, so I'm sure you'll do just fine!

A word to the wise: Don't wear a shirt that you value on the day of your first solo!
wink.gif

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
smile.gif

Good luck and DEFINITELY drop us a post telling us about your first solo!!

I had an absolute BLAST doing mine.

Like you, I was a tad nervous until my instructor got out and I started the plane... then it was all good.

Have fun!! GOOD LUCK!

R2F

Try not to let the delays get to you. If you htink this is bad, wait till you do your solo X-countries. My solo went smoothly but it took me 2 months to do my x-countries. It's part of the game. Use the time to get better at it :)

Good luck!

Mahesh

Use the down time to do some "arm chair" flying (poor man's simulator) and practice your procedures. Visualize your pattern work over and over in your head. Remember, the aircraft will perform better without the "dead" weight (and noise)
grin.gif
gone from the right seat.

If the approach is questionable, don't try to be a hero and don't hesitate to go-around, regroup and try again! The anticipation to that first solo flight is the worst part. Believe it or not, I still remember my first solo and getting my shirt tail cut. Above all...ENJOY the moment!
laugh.gif

My instructor was worthless. She wouldn't cut my shirt or do any artwork. I was cheated! I demand a refund from my school (yeah right!)

Enjoy the solo. Once you start the run-up you won't even think about not having the instructor in the airplane telling you...more right rudder, more right rudder!

Have fun and let us know all about it

GO DAWGS

I was a little bit nervous from when my instructor got out to the point I was cleared for takeoff and started to taxi onto the runway. As soon as I was lined up and opened the throttle all that nervousness went away turned into exhiliration and excitement.

I didn't get my shirt tail cut off, because in the aviation circles my instructor and friends run in, the tradition is getting drenched with a bucket of ice cold water. I have a great picture of that somewhere that I should scan and post.

[ QUOTE ]
If the approach is questionable, don't try to be a hero and don't hesitate to go-around, regroup and try again!

[/ QUOTE ]
I second that!! When I did my solo, I landed the first time, was high on the second one and did a go-around.

Landed- was high on the third one and did a go-around.... to which I got a call on the unicom from my instructor saying "I see we're practicing our go-arounds today.."

It's funny now, but just take your time and do it right. If you're high or not lined up with the centerline - do NOT force it - go around! No big deal.

Again - g'luck!!

R2F

First of I want to wish you the best of luck on your first solo!You have truely reached a milestone in your training. Just remember that if your instructor didn't feel confident in your abilities he/she wouldn't of signed you off in the first place.

I still remeber my first solo I was very nervous before takeoff, but after I got up in the air I was fine, and confident. After I got back my instructor cut the back of my shirt off.

After you solo let us know how it went-Good Luck!!
grin.gif

I think any nervousness you have will go away at the time when your instructor signs your student certificate, jumps out and signals you to lock the door. My instructor walked to the terminal without looking back. I found out later he came out to watch once I was near the runway.
I wasn't the least bit nervous when I soloed. However my legs were a little rubbery when I was posing for the picture afterwards.

Mahesh

You'll be amazed at how much better the airplane handles without your CFI. (Of course, you'd probably notice it more in the summertime heat and high density altitudes).

Solos always remind me of the mama bird kicking the baby out of the nest.
grin.gif

Just relax and have fun.

Enjoy the ride. You're doing something less than one percent of the population knows how to do!

Enjoy the scenery, enjoy the feeling, and have fun!

I am tentatively scheduled to solo this Friday. I say that not because he wants to see my progress again, but because of the weather. My CFI says I'm ready and so long as the weather holds out here in the Mid-Atlantic, I'll solo on Friday.

He is going to go up with me to go over emergency procedures one more time, then we will land so I can drop him off and then have at it. I'm taking my girlfriend and one of my roommate's here at school who's interested in flying. Take 'em up when the instructor's with me, then drop them off to watch when I do my thing.

I've got sooo much on my plate this week with school and other things that I don't have a chance to get anxious or nervous.

I was supposed to solo today and i should have done it weeks ago, but like you weather and other things have held me back, today i wasn't able to solo because there was an rg that had to do a gear up landing and the tower wouldnt let us go up while that was going on, so now i should solo thursday, but if you havent learned already shi* happens and it seems to happen to me more than anyone!
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I am tentatively scheduled to solo this Friday. I say that not because he wants to see my progress again, but because of the weather. My CFI says I'm ready and so long as the weather holds out here in the Mid-Atlantic, I'll solo on Friday.

He is going to go up with me to go over emergency procedures one more time, then we will land so I can drop him off and then have at it. I'm taking my girlfriend and one of my roommate's here at school who's interested in flying. Take 'em up when the instructor's with me, then drop them off to watch when I do my thing.

I've got sooo much on my plate this week with school and other things that I don't have a chance to get anxious or nervous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have fun, and enjoy it! I will never forget my first solo. Ormond Beach, FL. My flight instructor was sitting on the side of the runway, I taxied and took off, singling the theme song to top gun, as I went around the pattern, did 3 touch and goes, and picked him up. Nerves were there the first couple of times solo, but it only makes you a better pilot. Like I told the FAA lady today, who is going to give me my CFI checkride, stress and handling it only makes you better
cool.gif
cool.gif

Have fun!!! Your first solo(s) will be something you'll never forget. I was nervous the ENTIRE time... but hey have some faith in your own abilities and the judgement of your instructor and you'll do great.

Back