Preparing for the writtens

JDMcFly

Well, this is slightly related to the other written post, and also related to training materials.

I plan to take as many of the written tests I can before I go to ATP, and was wondering what exactly I should get for study material to take the writtens, so I can sit down and go through everything. What does ATP send you as regards to training material when you sign up?

Any advice from people who took written beforehand as to what exactly they got to study.

ATP sends you the Gleim's for every test you are going to take- Instrument Pilot, Commercial Pilot, Flight/Ground Instructor, and Fundamentals of Instructing.
A few good read throughs of all of those and you will be good to go. I'm not sure if ATP will reimburse you for them; you might want to give 'em a call to be sure.

Well that solves it, LOL.

What about private? I'm lookin' around for the king videos cheap, and am planning on picking up a private pilot manual. Suppisdly gotta get the Jep. Private Pilot pack, think that will cover it for PPL?

JD
here is everything you need: PTS book, gliem ppl, FAR/AIM 2003, appropriate sectional, E6B, plotter (the ones with the spinning wheel are best), maybe invest in the gliem or jepp ppl manuevers book, AFD (airport facilities directory),POH for your airplane. in my opinion, with those things you don't need to buy the $100 ppl jep book. most everything in the book will be in the above materials and/or covered in the airplane with your instructor. i aced every question in my oral and the checkride and never even opened mine. i also wouldn't bother with the ppl oral exam guide either. i also bought that and never opened it.

one more thing. i had the sportys ppl videos given to me by a friend. they were stupid. they didn't help me at all. in fact i coudn't stay awake long enough finish them. i didn't dare ask my friend how much he paid for them but i can see why he gave them away. i don't know about the king video's maybe they are a lot different. but either way, not really necessary. take the money you'd spend on those and buy an hour in the airplane
grin.gif
good luck!

Back