Prep for type rating airbus/Boeing

Kels Hughes

Hey guys-

Any tips on prepping for an initial type rating on an airbus or Boeing? I know you can buy the manuals online but is that just a waste or would it set you up to be more prepared when you start the training?

Are you doing the theory as part of a CBT course? I recommend trying to get a copy of the CBT course prior to starting the type rating. That way you can do it in your own time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

But is there any training or books that could be done ahead of time to make the training easier during the few weeks?

But is there any training or books that could be done ahead of time to make the training easier during the few weeks?

If you are getting typed in a jet and have never flown one before, it might be helpful to learn some generic stuff like what an apu is and how PDUs and fire detection loops work. That way you aren't hearing those terms for the first time while learning a brand new plane. The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual is a good starting point for that.

Everything aircraft specific will be given to you by the training center. Remember, they are being paid to get you passed, so they will make it as easy on you as they can. Failures reflect poorly on them too.

Power Drive Unit. They transfer cable input (or electric input in FBW aircraft) to hydraulic flight control movement. They may be called different things on different airplanes. All I know is I don't have them anymore and it's kind of annoying.

Speaking turbine, like @BobDDuck suggests, will help. The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual is a good read. That big yellow book can be helpful as well.

If you really want to go overboard, Smart Cockpit does have some aircraft-specific material that you can peruse (accuracy not guaranteed). Although the best preparation you can do, arguably, is to clear your mind and focus on the fire-hose that you're about to drink from.

Might tailor your responses to your audience:

kels.jpg

Back