Potential good news for the space travel

BigZ

Kudos to the lab mice and bunnies giving their lives for the research.
Read an article the other day about the Evil Russian Military Developments (tm), was kinda waiting to see if anyone translates it to link, but so far no bueno.
Basically the russkies made significant progress on the drug that's being developed to expand the survivability window for the battle wounds. The theory is that the aid administered in the first 60 minutes or so provides for the best chances of survival with the odds dropping off sharply after that. So some big brain thought "what if we can medically induce hibernation and double or triple that window of opportunity".
So far the drug made it to mice/bunnies trials and appears to work as advertised. Gruesome as the trials are, considerable good can come out of it for battle/accidental wound survivability, but it would also be interesting to see if (way, way) down the road it can be applied for the lengthy space travel.
Twenty-some years ago I spent some time in a hospital getting patched up, and had some interesting conversations with a girl who was working on suspended animation in a deep freeze lab. According to what she told me, they had no problem turning bunnies and rats into a block of ice and then thawing them back to life, except the process was destructive for the liver cells and the subjects would shortly die due to liver failure.
Hibernation might end up being a great interim solution. Human trials are expected in three years, provided pigs do as well as the rodents.

Kudos to the lab mice and bunnies giving their lives for the research.
Read an article the other day about the Evil Russian Military Developments (tm), was kinda waiting to see if anyone translates it to link, but so far no bueno.
Basically the russkies made significant progress on the drug that's being developed to expand the survivability window for the battle wounds. The theory is that the aid administered in the first 60 minutes or so provides for the best chances of survival with the odds dropping off sharply after that. So some big brain thought "what if we can medically induce hibernation and double or triple that window of opportunity".
So far the drug made it to mice/bunnies trials and appears to work as advertised. Gruesome as the trials are, considerable good can come out of it for battle/accidental wound survivability, but it would also be interesting to see if (way, way) down the road it can be applied for the lengthy space travel.
Twenty-some years ago I spent some time in a hospital getting patched up, and had some interesting conversations with a girl who was working on suspended animation in a deep freeze lab. According to what she told me, they had no problem turning bunnies and rats into a block of ice and then thawing them back to life, except the process was destructive for the liver cells and the subjects would shortly die due to liver failure.
Hibernation might end up being a great interim solution. Human trials are expected in three years, provided pigs do as well as the rodents.
Link?

As I understand it from various life extension proponents, spreading their message in Russia is like a vacation, since (for all of its many, many failings) the Soviet Union at least gave them a few generations of head-start on disbelieving Sky Bully fairy-tale nonsense. Which means that no one is asking "But why would anyone want to live longer when Jeebus is waiting by the pearly gates with all of our dead pets *drool* *nosepick*?"

As I understand it from various life extension proponents, spreading their message in Russia is like a vacation, since (for all of its many, many failings) the Soviet Union at least gave them a few generations of head-start on disbelieving Sky Bully fairy-tale nonsense. Which means that no one is asking "But why would anyone want to live longer when Jeebus is waiting by the pearly gates with all of our dead pets *drool* *nosepick*?"
Sorta, but not quite.
Religion had its renaissance in the 90s, especially among the older women. When life sucks many people turn to faith. Somewhere there it also became a trendy thing to follow the bigger holidays and stuff. Also don't forget that the Russian Orthodox variety, while considerably different, is akin to the classic Catholicism in rigidity, if not more rigid in some ways.
There's more freedom to believe or not believe than here in a way (blasphemy, I know) and the faith is further removed from the social life and daily decision making, but it's there. Abundantly so in some places. The church was never as oppressed as it was portrayed over here. It was just uncool.

PS This is probably gonna offend a few folks, but it's on you and your pearly gate reference.

Up in the heavens there's a line to the pearly gates. Saint Peter is doing his thing, but the nature really calls and he needs a lav break. JC is passing by, so Peter motions for him to come on over. "Hey man, help the brother out. Really need to step away for a few, but if I do, the friggin' crowd's gonna knock the gates down and stampede in." "Oh... but what do I need to do?" "The usual - name, TMAAT, that sort of stuff" "Okay". So JC does the thing, keeps the line orderly, this old man comes up to the gate. "Alright, sir, tell me about yourself." "I'm a simple carpenter, but the whole world knows my son." "Dad?!" "Pinocchio?!?!?!"

How the poop did Pinocchio breach the Iron Curtain, is what I want to know. The NKVD just let that one in? :D

How the poop did Pinocchio breach the Iron Curtain, is what I want to know. The NKVD just let that one in? :D
He didn't, I had to improvise with the localization ;)
Buratino (Russian: Буратино) is the main character of the book The Golden Key, or the Adventures of Buratino (1936) by Aleksey Nikolayevich Tolstoy. Based on the 1883 novel The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi, Buratino originated as a character in the commedia dell'arte. The name Buratino is derived from the Italian burattino, which means wooden puppet or doll.[1] The book was published in 1936, and Buratino quickly became hugely popular among children in the Soviet Union, and remains so to this day.

Sorta, but not quite.
Religion had its renaissance in the 90s, especially among the older women. When life sucks many people turn to faith. Somewhere there it also became a trendy thing to follow the bigger holidays and stuff. Also don't forget that the Russian Orthodox variety, while considerably different, is akin to the classic Catholicism in rigidity, if not more rigid in some ways.
There's more freedom to believe or not believe than here in a way (blasphemy, I know) and the faith is further removed from the social life and daily decision making, but it's there. Abundantly so in some places. The church was never as oppressed as it was portrayed over here. It was just uncool.

PS This is probably gonna offend a few folks, but it's on you and your pearly gate reference.

Up in the heavens there's a line to the pearly gates. Saint Peter is doing his thing, but the nature really calls and he needs a lav break. JC is passing by, so Peter motions for him to come on over. "Hey man, help the brother out. Really need to step away for a few, but if I do, the friggin' crowd's gonna knock the gates down and stampede in." "Oh... but what do I need to do?" "The usual - name, TMAAT, that sort of stuff" "Okay". So JC does the thing, keeps the line orderly, this old man comes up to the gate. "Alright, sir, tell me about yourself." "I'm a simple carpenter, but the whole world knows my son." "Dad?!" "Pinocchio?!?!?!"

It's funny because it's partially true. There's a saying that a rational person must conclude that JC was either a lunatic, liar, or Lord.

Back