Post deleted by Doug Taylor

Re: PULL YOUR MONEY OUT OF PAN-AM & LEAVE!

Yeah, people laid off here at DVT also. What is up?

What's going on?

If it's just layoffs, Christ, the Jiffy Lube down the street laid off a few oil changers, but I think they're going to be doing oil changes monday morning.

What's the situation?

Doug,

The word on the street is that the bean counters project fewer enrollments for the next few months due to the war and the economy. Although, we are getting 25-30 students enrolling this month. So, they are cutting costs now before they become overstaffed, supposedly.

The bulk of the layoffs were in maintenance, I don't understand that: No maintenance --> no planes available --> no revenue and unhappy students --> disenrollments...
confused.gif

Everyone let go was salary/full-time. No flight instructors lost their job. Each student has a syllabus book at the dispatch counter and I've never seen so many books as there are now. It seems that enrollment is as high as ever, so I'm not sure what the bean counters are looking at.

Morale has been real good at DVT lately. So much for that.
frown.gif

They say that there will be no more cuts, I just hope they are telling the truth. We'll have to wait and see how everything works out. I hated to see my friends walk out the door for the last time today.

Oh please!!! First off Doug, now all of a sudden we are a fan of Pan Am??? This is just another one of their underhanded lies...now I see it!!! Like I said in my last post, we were told by one of the "heads" how great PA was doing and they were making a profit this year. Please, you cannot believe anything that comes out of the mouths of the admin which again, I will now refer to as the Stepford Wifes because that is all they are.
As to PanAm guy out west.....here in Florida, they covered their asses and hit every department. That way they could say it was downsizing. They got rid of someone or someone's in every department except of course admin and scheduling as far as I can tell. Enrollment down here isn't that high. Instructors lost their jobs also although I am still not quite sure who....it was all rumors still last night. I am very sorry because yes, I am very bitter right now...PanAm just screwed with my life, I don't care about the job, I will move on...what Icare about is the fact they chose me, who probably cared the most about the students and instructors and did everything I could for them, I did my job well and loved it, but I didn't fit into admin shoes.....oh well, the students and instructors loss.....If admin really cared for their employees and their clients.....they would have kept me because I cared. Obviously they don't care about you guys....!!! Ok, I am off my soap box, sorry!!!! I stood up for PA 2 weeks ago but now, I see that they are what everyone has been saying, they don't care, they have no souls, bottom line is making money or whatever....again no souls whatsoever...it's quite sad!!!! If it wasn't their choice, I could almost feel sorry for the people within their grip.....

CMARTIN, please, you dont go to the school, don't pretend to know something just because you happen to train at the same airport and visit these boards.

As I stated to the post that you left in another forum.

Instructors were not fired. The very few that were salary were given the option to stay and work hourly or leave. Some left, some stayed. Period.

Maybe everyone should bring the drama level down just a little bit here. Let’s be realistic, just because a business lets some employees go doesn’t mean that they are about to close the doors. Yeah, it’s disappointing that people got let go, but smart companies grow and contract to meet demand. Right after 9/11 Pan Am was one of the few places hiring, but now the war and worsening situation at the airlines has obviously caught up with them and they have to adjust. And Casaosa, I’m not sure what you're going on about. Are you saying that this whole thing was a plot to get rid of you, and that they laid people off from every department to make it look legit? Surely we can’t believe that. We want to know, were you on salary or hourly?

[ QUOTE ]
Doug,

The bulk of the layoffs were in maintenance, I don't understand that: No maintenance --> no planes available --> no revenue and unhappy students --> disenrollments...
confused.gif

Everyone let go was salary/full-time. No flight instructors lost their job. Each student has a syllabus book at the dispatch counter and I've never seen so many books as there are now. It seems that enrollment is as high as ever, so I'm not sure what the bean counters are looking at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same thoughts about the MX at first, but I'm content to wait and see what happens. Neither you nor I are are really qualified to determine what the correct staffing level in the MX department is. As far as ditching CFIs, won't happen at DVT since all the non-management CFIs are hourly. You just won't get any students. Hopfully they will stop bringing on new CFIs if things slow down.

No, I'm not a "fan" of any flight school. Well, FlightSafety because they've been puchasing ad space from the website!
smile.gif

However, I believe in balance and I also believe in the idea about "self fulfilling prophecies".

Balance - "Pull your money out of Pan Am". If it's simply because they're laying off people, then I'd better stop going to Bank of America, flying on any major airline, going down the Jiffy Lube and take all of my holdings out of Fidelity Investments because lots of industries are hard hit by economic turmoil.

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy - If a person works as CFI at Pan Am and they're upset because there are layoffs, potential students are going to go elsewhere... Sparking more layoffs. More anger and gnashing of teeth - less students and so on and so on.

I have next to zero personal experience with Pan Am so please don't take any comments as an endorsement nor a admonishment. I'm just here to add a little onto the compost pile!
smile.gif

Back