Post 9/11

Sprint100

This question goes out to all the frequent flyers.
Do you guys notice much of a difference in airports since 9/11? Besides the tighter/more harassing security and not letting non-passengers go near the gates. I ask because they talked about moving parking further from runways, gates, etc. and at most airports I have seen no big difference.

Well, DCA still isn't open to general aviation, period. And I'm not talking just C172s, I'm talking corporate and charters.

I know they closed off some parking areas but I believe they have reopened them. Now they're just making you parade barefoot through the terminal, x-raying everything in sight, and being a big pain in the butt!

At most airports I know of, the close-in parking only gets closed off when the threat level goes Orange. Some airports have closed off observation areas near the fence and even harrass aircraft "spotters" which I think is a real shame. I really don't like the non-passengers not being able to go to the gate ... my attitude is if you're willing to subject yourself to the TSA, and there is less than a 10 minute wait at the checkpoint, they should let non-pax through. Guess I'll have to wait for that airline ID to meet people at the gate ...

FL270

Yeah, but delays are long enough going through security as it is. If half the passengers also brought people through to the gate, the delays would be even worse!

Here in JAX there used to be a parking lot right next to the terminal where you could park for free for the first 45 mins to pick up passengers. All gone now. I'd have to agree with FL270 on a couple of points. In BUF there used to be an area near a restaurant adjacent to 23 that was great to just park and watch, but the last time I was up there it was fenced off.

I, too, would like to see non passengers be able to go to the gate again. I realize that security lines in a lot of places are out of hand, now, but I think some common sense on the part of the TSA would alleviate that. I mean, my 89 year old Grandfather, who can barely even walk, was about strip searched last month flying to my sisters wedding. Obviously, this took even longer with him than with an able bodied person. Is it just me or does that seem like a waste of resources to anyone else?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
In BUF there used to be an area near a restaurant adjacent to 23 that was great to just park and watch, but the last time I was up there it was fenced off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that the one near the Flying Tigers restaurant? That place is awesome. Eat a good dinner, and watch planes taxi by and take off and land. Great place to take dates!
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that the one near the Flying Tigers restaurant? That place is awesome. Eat a good dinner, and watch planes taxi by and take off and land. Great place to take dates!
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the place. Sure is a good 'date' restaurant. I proposed to my wife on the patio there as a Delta flight taxied past!

ESF, ever sit at the bar or one of the tables with headphones & listen to ATC traffic?

Yeah, several times. I am from upstate NY (near ROC), and used to fly into BUF all the time just to go to that place! If I can comandeer an airplane, I'm going to go up there again pretty soon.
smile.gif

Every time we fly up there we head there and gorge on the all you can eat crab legs and just watch the planes roll by. Closest you can get to heaven in Buffalo!
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, several times. I am from upstate NY (near ROC), and used to fly into BUF all the time just to go to that place! If I can comandeer an airplane, I'm going to go up there again pretty soon.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]ESF, where in the ROC are you from? I grew up in Henrietta ... escaped eight years ago and don't miss the winters, but some of the family is still there.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
Some airports have closed off observation areas near the fence and even harrass aircraft "spotters" which I think is a real shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here at the Nashville airport, an airport police officer (holds in smirk...
grin.gif
) gave me a hard time because I was spotting in a parking lot, which just happened to be NEAR the fence that surrounded the airport police station. "This is a restricted area", he tells me. "You need to take your scanner and find someplace else to look at airplanes".

"But there's no fence blocking this area off...as a matter of fact, I'm in a parking lot".

But, I noticed that his sidearm was unholstered, and his partner looked like she was waiting for a reason to arrest me.....

So, I went on my way, laughing outloud at the idiots.

[ QUOTE ]
ESF, where in the ROC are you from? I grew up in Henrietta ... escaped eight years ago and don't miss the winters, but some of the family is still there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from just east of the city. Williamson, if you know where that is (apple country). My family is all there too, in fact I was just there for Thanksgiving, and yes...it is getting cold!

Flyin Tigers isn't closed off anymore. You can still go there if you want. I take my nephew there about once a week and we watch for an hour or two. tons 'o fun!

Really? That little lot back near the weather station? I'll have to do some chillin' (insert cold/snow joke here) there when I'm up there this Christmas. That's good news! The last time I checked was more than a year ago and it was blocked off, I just assumed it was permanent.

You know what happens when you assume!
blush.gif

I am pretty sure we are talkin about the same area....I don't see anything roped off except for the usual airport fence and barbed wire. Another good place to watch is at the UPS Cargo area.

[ QUOTE ]
But, I noticed that his sidearm was unholstered

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, cause he might have shot you if you didn't move.

Back