Possibly leaving professional aviation...

CameronF

I have been in the airlines a little over a year now, and the job has gone from being a dream to just a job. Granted, I still love to fly but doing it for a paycheck and being away from home a lot aren't ideal for me.

The part that concerns me about leaving flying is:

-all I've done up to this point has been flying or something focused on flying in order to get me to the airlines
-I'm 24 and have a BA in business management, but it seems like its worthless since companies want a bunch of prior experience
-since I've been so focused on making flying a career, I have no idea what jobs I'd like to do. I wouldn't mind becoming a police officer or something in law enforcement.

My biggest question is how am I going to qualify for something outside of flying when all I've done on my resume is fly or work line service.

Thanks for the help.

I have been in the airlines a little over a year now, and the job has gone from being a dream to just a job. Granted, I still love to fly but doing it for a paycheck and being away from home a lot aren't ideal for me.

-all I've done up to this point has been flying or something focused on flying in order to get me to the airlines
-I'm 24 and have a BA in business management, but it seems like its worthless since companies want a bunch of prior experience
-since I've been so focused on making flying a career, I have no idea what jobs I'd like to do. I wouldn't mind becoming a police officer or something in law enforcement.

My biggest question is how am I going to qualify for something outside of flying when all I've done on my resume is fly or work line service.

Thanks for the help.
Take the bull by the ...... start somewhere. Ask yourself where regular college grads go? There are many management programs around the country where you are brought in and given specific training. You will not earn much initially(training) but most of these companies have much more realistic growth potential. Caterpillar used to have such a program, I don't know if they still do.

I also will not discount your job experience altogether. Starting an MBA could also help in your pursuit. BLUF, you have to get out and get in somewhere.

Goodluck

Even with a business management degree, you need many years of experience in a corporate job before you truly become management. What were your favorite courses in your business management program? I'd start by looking at entry level jobs in whatever that favorite course was to start getting your feet wet in the business world if thats what you decide to do.

You mentioned law enforcement. I have tossed this idea around as well. In my area, entry level police officers make 39k, and you are paid almost half of that while you are in training. I don't think you can make that much during training with any flying gig that I know of. Also, a lot of law enforcement have aviation units that you are able to apply for after putting in a little time in a cruiser. I'm kinda in the same position as you, but I did airline, and now doing charter. Some things I have been considering:

Trading in a jet for a police cruiser:
- 33 days PTO
- 12 Holidays
- Free Life insurance
- RETIREMENT PENSION (that won't be taken away from you like some of those senior airline guys had happen)
- Permanent shift assignments (ah having a schedule again :0)
- Furlough? Not that I know.
- Home after every shift ends.

These are just a few of the perks for the PD I have looked into, not to mention they do have an aviation unit. Albeit they only have 172's and 182's. It is still flying, and you can apply to get into the helo. If accepted they will pay for all of your training. Pretty awesome.

A lot of people i have met made good honest careers from law enforcement and were able to retire comfortable. These days (I am joining the 30 club in September) my goal is not so much the gig, but what can I do to provide a good income, have a good quality of life for my family, and of course, how soon I can retire comfortable.

That being said, I have not completely thrown out flying. I would like to think I could still make a career out of it, buuut the those looming goals I mentioned above are indeed my conscience.

MOGuy, it really depends on where you are, it can be a GREAT job but in some areas LE careers are taking substantial hits in several areas.

- 33 days PTO
- 12 Holidays
- Free Life insurance

Pretty much accurate here, but you will work all those holidays, particularly if your junior. In my old agency each officer was forced to take 12 furlough days last two contract years to save money without laying off officers, so each officer lost 2+ weeks of pay.

- RETIREMENT PENSION (that won't be taken away from you like some of those senior airline guys had happen)
Might not be taken away but it can be altered and reduced. NJ did away with any cost of living raises, several CA agencies had their pensions reduced, Arlington VA pensioners lost their health benefits. These are not necessarily the norm but should be considered. It's still a good pension but it isn't written in stone is my point.

-

See above and Trenton PD, laid off 100+ officers (1/3 of their force) last year. None have returned to work in Trenton as of yet. Ewing, 8 officers laid off, I can go on here...

Yes but your shift can be extended when needed depending on where you work mandatory OT can be a problem.

I think it is worth considering that when a municipality or state starts having money problems, one of the first places they look is salary and benefits for the highest paid workers, cops and fireman. With the private sector doing all it can to save money we look to a lot of the public like we have it too good and they get vocal. We were positively demonized by the politicians here in NJ when they were changing our pensions to have us pay for healthcare, albeit a tiny fraction, (the door is now open), and removed the COL raises.

Having said all that it was a GREAT career that allowed me to do a great many things I would never have had the chance to do in private industry...and yes I do have a decent pension, but I have to worry how long it's going to be there.

All jobs are a grind after a while.

That's why it's called a job! :)

Absolutely true, but this brings up one of the really good things about police work.

In this business, in any larger department, there are so many entirely different jobs that you can get assigned to it can keep your interest throughout a career. patrol, anti crime / gang units, narcotics, tech services, administration, criminal investigations, crime scene/identification, SWAT. With changes in assignments and promotions I did something different every few of years. I used to joke that I couldn't hold a job.:D

You mentioned law enforcement. I have tossed this idea around as well. In my area, entry level police officers make 39k, and you are paid almost half of that while you are in training. I don't think you can make that much during training with any flying gig that I know of. Also, a lot of law enforcement have aviation units that you are able to apply for after putting in a little time in a cruiser. I'm kinda in the same position as you, but I did airline, and now doing charter. Some things I have been considering:

- 33 days PTO
- 12 Holidays
- Free Life insurance
- Permanent shift assignments (ah having a schedule again :0)

These are just a few of the perks for the PD I have looked into, not to mention they do have an aviation unit. Albeit they only have 172's and 182's. It is still flying, and you can apply to get into the helo. If accepted they will pay for all of your training. Pretty awesome.

A lot of people i have met made good honest careers from law enforcement and were able to retire comfortable. These days (I am joining the 30 club in September) my goal is not so much the gig, but what can I do to provide a good income, have a good quality of life for my family, and of course, how soon I can retire comfortable.

That being said, I have not completely thrown out flying. I would like to think I could still make a career out of it, buuut the those looming goals I mentioned above are indeed my conscience.

I'm also extremely interested in this line of work...the question is, where do I even begin haha. I see you need to take a physical, written, and video test for almost all the entry level positions, is there a site that has information on how to study for this?

There are a number of companies which are considered excellent management-training organizations with a lot of mobility. Enterprise Rental Car is one such place.

Depending on your preferences, getting into a company with excellent sales training is another option. Might sound boring, but insurance is a very good way to go. If you can get in to IBM, you're golden. Probably the best sales and management training in the world.

Thanks for the help.

I am sorry to hear that you are considering a different career other than Aviation due to your bad experiences. I do not mean to sound mean, but I think you jumped into and went through Aviation to fast. It is not fun to just go to ATP, instruct for ATP, 3-4 months later at a regional airline... That's no fun man!

It's important to enjoy the journey, and not race through something that does not need to be raced through. I took this quote from Purple " Someone said if you had group of people drive to Alaska, that I would just gun it to Alaska never stopping and enjoying the ride or beauty. I would be the first one to arrive in Alaska, but then later the rest of the group would arrive also and they would of enjoyed the beauty and scenery as they drove to Alaska."

Sounds to me like you gunned it to Alaska... Maybe you can go back to instructing or find a different job that is not limited to flying a multi-turbine aircraft. You will fly Jets again if you want, I'm sure of it. But maybe try a different aspect of aviation.

Going back to instructing or flying a single-piston is not taking a step back FYI. Best of luck man

I have an Aviation Science degree, been at 2 regionals, 8 years in the right seat between both.............I'm in the same boat as you. The pay just isn't justifying 8 years in this career. I am more concerned now with Quality of LIfe really than pay, but making $35/hr after 8 years in kind of BS. I am looking at other options (maybe start something on the side during my overnights for supplemental income at first) but leaving options open outside airline (whichever those options are)

Thanks for the help.

I know I will probably catch some heat from some out there but I feel compelled to comment. It is intended as perspective and not criticism (well maybe a little).

I spent 15 years doing the 8-5/m-f grind along with family/kids/white picket fence. After a layoff/split/custody battle I decided to become a pilot and got my first airline gig at 39 years old.

You've only been in it for one year and you're ready to do something else? There are so many references in these forums to "doing your research" as to what expect. Did you not do that? I had no illusions of a glamour life and decided to stick it out and put up with the crap to get to a major. Im in my third year of one of the sh1ttiest regionals and the pay is much better after I upgraded, and my connections at majors are already talking interviews. I knew what i was getting into. Everyone knows your first year or two is "weed out" and it seems like its working in your case.

You are lucky to be doing something that not very many people get to do. It's fun, challenging, and no two days are the same. You Want QOL and routine then use that business degree to get a job at a bank (which was my former profession). If you are getting bored with the 'job' of being a pilot, you'll be suicidal after six months in an office.

I know I will probably catch some heat from some out there but I feel compelled to comment.

Incoming! ;) It's not my place (or, frankly, yours) to tell someone else what they'd be happiest doing. I think that you're right that doing the research is important, but there's no indication that the OP didn't, and you simply can't fully understand the lifestyle of any job until you do it. Me, I don't think I'd be any happier doing anything else, but that's me. I don't extrapolate this to other people.

You are lucky to be doing something that not very many people get to do.

Now that's some happy horsepoop if I've ever heard it. Not many people get to clean sewers, either. Which isn't to say that flying airplanes is exactly like cleaning seweres, but I'm sure there are people who really love cleaning sewers, too. Why does it seem as though so many people's self-estimation is caught up in how everyone should want to be just like them? Does it make you less happy if someone else doesn't enjoy what you do to make money? What difference does it make to you?

To the OP: If it's not fun, don't do it. End of story. It's still fun for me, but when it's not, I'll stop doing it. And I'm not you. And neither is anyone else.

Incoming! ;) It's not my place (or, frankly, yours) to tell someone else what they'd be happiest doing. I think that you're right that doing the research is important, but there's no indication that the OP didn't, and you simply can't fully understand the lifestyle of any job until you do it. Me, I don't think I'd be any happier doing anything else, but that's me. I don't extrapolate this to other people.

Now that's some happy horsepoop if I've ever heard it. Not many people get to clean sewers, either. Which isn't to say that flying airplanes is exactly like cleaning seweres, but I'm sure there are people who really love cleaning sewers, too. Why does it seem as though so many people's self-estimation is caught up in how everyone should want to be just like them? Does it make you less happy if someone else doesn't enjoy what you do to make money? What difference does it make to you?

To the OP: If it's not fun, don't do it. End of story. It's still fun for me, but when it's not, I'll stop doing it. And I'm not you. And neither is anyone else.

Has anyone else noticed how reasonable you've become in recent months? Either I've rubbed off on you or you've been away from the Mitsi waaaaaaaaaay too long.

Has anyone else noticed how reasonable you've become in recent months? Either I've rubbed off on you or you've been away from the Mitsi waaaaaaaaaay too long.

Well, it obviously wasn't you, but I do notice a certain lack of ringing in my ears...

Public Service Announcement: If you trade in your Garretts (or JT-15s) for a PT-6, people like killbilly will start to find you "reasonable". :(

What about something with US Customs, National Park Service, or Department of Fish & Game? All law enforcement type jobs with aviation departments....

There's always avoiding putting one's eggs in one basket too. Between Federal LE, AF Reserve, and contract firefighting work; I never have to do the same thing all the time. And truthfully, the contract fire work is the funnest.

Best part of flying for me anymore, is that I don't depend on it for my income. It's just part of what I do in life.

I went into LE after flying fulltime. All you do is start is the testing process. I would suggest doing a ride along, at least you will see what is like to be a cop. You can choose to put yourself through an academy at your expense or if your hired by an agency they will put you through and pay you while in training. The academy is approx. 6 months, and pay is approx. in $70's, then again cops are paid hourly not yearly. So that is about 35/hr at 40/hr a week. At my place we are coming out of the doldrums of the recessions. We are getting back the concessions we gave up a few years ago, we are hiring for three academies. The QOL is great in the sense that I work about two weeks a month, everything else is gravey. The downside is I don't fly as much as I would like. I CFI, ferry flights and whatever else I can to fly. There are some trade offs you will do but overall if I am not flying this is something that is also truely rewarding.

Back