Possible Job Choice

pilotmike327

Hey everyone,
I've been considering FA for 2-4 years (or longer if given to opportunity to live in Europe). I'm not sure if this is the right way to go. I want to work in the aviation industry and would have a ADX and plan on finishing my 4-year degree online. Has anyone been a FA for less than 5 years before moving on to something else in the aviation industry (non-pilot)?

It's common for F/As to move in the airlines to non-flying positions. I've known F/As that have gone on into management (in inflight and in other areas), marketing, and even administrative positions. My former roommate (and comrade Eagle F/A) went to work as an admin assistant shortly before 9/11, and has since gone to AA as an executive assistant to someone in Dallas. Another former F/A friend is now the AA station manager at CMH (yes, the station manager, as in the person in charge of the entire station). It depends on what your strengths, experience and education have made you qualified for, and the networking connections you've made to help you get the foot in the door.

Living in Europe and commuting to work as a F/A is certainly possible, though it's difficulty will be dependent on what airline you fly for and what the schedules are. It's not something I would try to do right away, with being on reserve and junior schedule bidding, but once you've been around a bit and had the chance to get the hang of scheduling, and non-reving, it's a possibility.

Back