Possible bonehead moment or FAA screwup...

jml2992

Pigeon Mutilator
I just got my instructor certificate in the mail straight from Oklahoma City. When I got ready to sign it (remember folks, it's not a valid document until you put your John Hancock on there,) I read the the front of it and all it said was the same stuff that I had already received from the original check ride:

Ratings:
Airplane
Single-Engine

What's missing here...I just finished my CFII and my temporary includes my new rating but the new "hard" certificate has only my original information with no regard to my newly added rating. Am I missing something?

What's missing here...I just finished my CFII and my temporary includes my new rating but the new "hard" certificate has only my original information with no regard to my newly added rating. Am I missing something?

Do you already have a permanent for the CFI single engine? If not, the FAA is just behind as they send out a permanent for each checkride you pass.

After i did my training, I didnt get my final permanent certs until 6 months after my last checkride

Do you already have a permanent for the CFI single engine? If not, the FAA is just behind as they send out a permanent for each checkride you pass.

After i did my training, I didnt get my final permanent certs until 6 months after my last checkride

I think the reason he posted this thread is because he does have the permanent, but they just messed it up.

BTW I hope your signature is a joke.

I'd had my original certificate for two years before I did my II ride a couple of months ago. I looked it up on the registry and it says that I am still only a CFI with no Instrument rating added. I left a message on the website for them to call me but I think I need to get in contact with them and actually get it ammended. Do you think I need to call the DPE as well?

I'd had my original certificate for two years before I did my II ride a couple of months ago. I looked it up on the registry and it says that I am still only a CFI with no Instrument rating added. I left a message on the website for them to call me but I think I need to get in contact with them and actually get it ammended. Do you think I need to call the DPE as well?

The FAA seems to be about three months behind in processing, I would imagine that you should see a new certificate in the mail in the next 4 to 6 weeks. Just hold onto that temp for now. That is just from my experience over the last 6 months, completing my ratings I have received several new permanent certificates, all a rating or two behind because I have completed something else in the preceding 2-3 months.

The other bummer of the deal is that you will be unable to sign any IACRA aplications so you will have to do it all by paper instead.

Called today and spoke to the lady that filled out my stuff. She has resolved it and I will have my new permanent certificate by next week.

Called today and spoke to the lady that filled out my stuff. She has resolved it and I will have my new permanent certificate by next week.

Seems like you've already gotten it resolved, but I had the exact same thing happen to me. I just called the certification branch and they sent me an email to print with the appropriate data that was good for 60 days, or until I got the correct permanent.

FWIW, I had an instructor that lost a B25 type rating due to a Fed Screw up. He didn't catch it (he had a lot of types) until the next type, after the one they omitted it, and couldn't get it back on his certificate in spite of the paperwork trail.

I guess the moral is ALWAYS check your certs from the federales.

I guess the moral is ALWAYS check your certs from the federales.

Absolutley! And it's not good enough to just check the temp as they hand it to you... make sure you carefully check the permanent card when you get it. I had an FAA inspector observe me on a type rating ride I gave this weekend and she told me that the FAA doesn't actually print the licenses - they process the application and then send it to a vendor in Oke City that actually prints the cards and apparently they have had ALOT of issues with them lately where they print the wrong information or omit information from the cards.

On a somewhat related topic, why does my card have "English proficient" listed under the limitations? How is that a limitation?

Straight from the FAA website:

Effective March 5, 2008, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) requires the following certificate holders who operate internationally to have a certificate stating that the holder is proficient in the use of the English language:

• Private, commercial, and airline transport pilots with powered aircraft ratings
  • Flight engineers and flight navigators
  • Control tower operators
The ability to read, speak, write, and understand English is already a U.S. regulatory eligibility requirement; the FAA Registry began issuing all new certificates with this endorsement on February 11, 2008. The U.S. has notified ICAO that it filed a difference that will extend the U.S. compliance date until March 5, 2009, in order to provide sufficient time for all affected U.S. airman certificate holders to comply with the ICAO Language Proficiency airman certificate endorsement requirements.
Falling into compliance with ICAO policy. Doesn't seem like a limitation per se. Obviously you need to be able to read, speak, understand the English language for the certificate. Just seems to be where the placed the endorsement.

Back