Possible Aerospace Engineering plus Flying Career?

Unless you’ve got this flying thing in your blood, engineer and fly on the side.

For me, it was more about having time off and not worrying about work on my days off. I might have made a little more as an engineer during my entire career... But considering where I’m at now, I’m probably going to making considerably more as a pilot overall. I’m VERY happy I left engineering after a few years to be a professional pilot.

For me, it was more about having time off and not worrying about work on my days off. I might have made a little more as an engineer during my entire career... But considering where I’m at now, I’m probably going to making considerably more as a pilot overall. I’m VERY happy I left engineering after a few years to be a professional pilot.
Plus...engineers...

As another one who's done a bit of both, I'd say there's *usually* wisdom in the "pick one" train of thought, as mentioned above, although your own mileage may vary...if riding in the back of the airplane is enough to scratch the flying itch, flight test engineering might be a really good fit.

I had always been interested in both flying and engineering, but I kinda got my engineering degree as partly "backup plan" and partly "because 4-yr degree" (I wasn't too bright about avoiding work, plus Mike Rowe wasn't around to convince me otherwise). I wasn't a nerd, but I did pretty well in engineering school, and I realized I enjoyed learning the concepts. I especially enjoyed our capstone design course (though it 'bout killed me--I lived and often slept at the design/mfg lab, and mostly existed as a zombie elsewhere for that semester).

Despite my initial reasons for going to engineering school, by the time I graduated I had a very marketable skill in something I'd found interesting, and a very *un*marketable Pvt/Inst. So, my options were, (a) a well-paying job as an engineer at a defense contractor where a bunch of my classmates were going, (b) grad school, or (c) spending (i.e., borrowing) a ton more money for ratings in hopes of eventually landing a poor paying flying job in the post-9/11 slump...

I chose (a)--figured I'd build an RV-8 in my garage and fly for fun. I didn't like the job, though, and wound up saving some money for a bit, then getting the rest of my ratings and going to fly after all.

I have to confess I don't often pine for a cubicle, but I think you're on a great track. I'd agree with the advice you have been given--try to get some internships and see different aspects of the industry. Try to do real work at your internships, too--the good news is, most companies that hire engineering interns do try to put them to real work, rather than just entertain them. :) See if you can find work you like, and maybe even a company you like.

In the future, if you do want to try to fly and engineer, though, I would recommend exploring General Aviation. Find a smaller company, with a smaller staff, where your job might have a little less specialization, and a little more variety. Flying or no flying, you might find your work to be more interesting with some variety. :) Maybe even one of the better kit manufacturers, especially if you're interested in experimental (i.e., "home-built"/amateur built) aviation at all. Trade-off there (there's always a trade-off), is likely less job stability for getting to do something more interesting.

Best wishes for finding an internship, and for your next steps!

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think my next step is to try and secure an internship for the next summer. Ideally, it would be in the flight test department; however, no matter what the internship is, it could turn out to be something I like (or really don't). At this point I am strongly trying to incorporate both choices into my career. Both production test pilot and flight test engineering both seem like valid options, which I have great interest in. I'm not dead set on what I fly, just that I am in the air (even if I was just in the backseat). As @srn121 and @Ecl!pse suggested, GA sounds promising and also accident investigation.

@Ecl!pse I'm at Wichita State University.

If you get a chance going to AirVenture in Osh Kosh this month would be a great opportunity to see some aircraft and products that interest you and talk to some of the people that work at the companies as they may be interested in you as an employee or at least they can give you some more helpful advice. It's amazing how much innovation is always ongoing in GA, especially with electric and hybrid designs becoming more practical.

I know Cub Crafters in Yakima, WA is looking for engineers according to their website and I imagine you'd get a pretty good opportunity to fly them now and then, but I can't say for sure. There are a lot of companies with some interesting LSAs and with how little fuel they burn if you can borrow one now and then for the price of some mo-gas that'd be a great perk of employment there.

Also there should be some local EAA chapters near you and they might have some interesting projects going on and some really great people to meet. Being young I can't recommend getting out there and talking and meeting people enough. I had a friend that had a wealthy guy pretty much make up an internship on the spot for him and he was one of the coolest bosses, letting him borrow his Mooney for the price of the fuel to put in it and helping him build some very valuable time.

Last edited:
If you get a chance going to AirVenture in Osh Kosh this month would be a great opportunity to see some aircraft and products that interest you and talk to some of the people that work at the companies as they may be interested in you as an employee or at least they can give you some more helpful advice. It's amazing how much innovation is always ongoing in GA, especially with electric and hybrid designs becoming more practical.

I know Cub Crafters in Yakima, WA is looking for engineers according to their website and I imagine you'd get a pretty good opportunity to fly them now and then, but I can't say for sure. There are a lot of companies with some interesting LSAs and with how little fuel they burn if you can borrow one now and then for the price of some mo-gas that'd be a great perk of employment there.

Also there should be some local EAA chapters near you and they might have some interesting projects going on and some really great people to meet. Being young I can't recommend getting out there and talking and meeting people enough. I had a friend that had a wealthy guy pretty much make up an internship on the spot for him and he was one of the coolest bosses, letting him borrow his Mooney for the price of the fuel to put in it and helping him build some very valuable time.
Yeah but....Yakima.

I was a kid that always wanted to fly, but at the time I earned my private in high school I had thick glasses and the career path was limited or so I thought. Fast forward a decade later, I was engineer for a large aerospace company that allowed me to earn and pay for my remaining licenses and ratings. Career prospects had changed in the airline industry with the boom of regionals and I didn’t like my career progression as an engineer. Being debt free with saving, I figured “why not”. 18 years later, I’m glad I made the choice to change. For me, being an airline pilot wins hands down over being “cube farmer”. Office view can’t be beat. Career earnings are good. Quality of life I enjoy randomness and chaos over 9to5. I enjoy travel. Of course there are some downsides to an airline career, I’ve gotten lazy. I miss the mental aspect of being an engineer. My brain has definitely atrophied since my engineering days. Airline flying is usually pretty boring, however it did allow me to buy my own plane. So, like anything there are pluses and minuses. Being able to do both sounds nice, but guessing you will be leaving career earnings on the table... Good luck, I’d be interested to hear how your path plays out.

Back