POrtable GPS units questions

Does anyone here have any experience with the Bendix King AV8OR it seems to be very reasonably priced-USD 675- and has received good reviews from what I have seen.

What part of Boston? I used to teach out PSF way.

BTW, that old style GPS you are talking about, has it got two inner and outer knobs each side with just a little screen? That's what I call the "Loran style".

I am in Peabody, near KBVY. Yes, that "loran style" GPS is what they ahve in the King School videos. I just WISH that the rental planes I am looking at had that much of a high-tech device in them.

All they have is the NDB radio receiver with two sets of numbers: one set for your linear distance to the NDB, and the other for the frequency of the NDB. It seems accurate enough at a good distance from the target (like when you are tuned into the NDB at KBOS and you need to knwo when you have exited the B airspace). But, as we all know, the closer you get, the funkier it gets.

Most of the planes for rent also only have one VOR radio installed.

My preference would be to have a potentially more accurate tracking device in the form of a moving map GPS. As I said before, that lowrance seems like a good deal as long as you dont have to update the map all the time (and if I am flying VFR, this will largely be true)

I am in Peabody, near KBVY. Yes, that "loran style" GPS is what they ahve in the King School videos. I just WISH that the rental planes I am looking at had that much of a high-tech device in them.

All they have is the NDB radio receiver with two sets of numbers: one set for your linear distance to the NDB, and the other for the frequency of the NDB. It seems accurate enough at a good distance from the target (like when you are tuned into the NDB at KBOS and you need to knwo when you have exited the B airspace). But, as we all know, the closer you get, the funkier it gets.

Most of the planes for rent also only have one VOR radio installed.

My preference would be to have a potentially more accurate tracking device in the form of a moving map GPS. As I said before, that lowrance seems like a good deal as long as you dont have to update the map all the time (and if I am flying VFR, this will largely be true)
Cool man.

Don't forget to stop in at Jaffres during the summer and get u some ice cream. The guy who owns the place is a whack job but the ice cream is worth it.

Back