Poll...would you get your IFR rating in a 152?

DE727UPS

If you could fly a nice 152 aerobat, with a Garmin 430 IFR moving map GPS, would you do it? Cost would be around $95 dual. Or is a 152 just too small and too underpowered to be considered? Or do you just not fit in one?

I would absouletely do it.

...which is probably why I did do it.
laugh.gif

Cessna 4853L 1980 152/U FULL IFR! And damn proud of it.
It cost me $54/hour plus instruction. But I ended up taking the actual checkride in a 172 to make it easier for both comfort and power!

I don't fit in a 152 very well (certainly not with somebody else in the airplane), but it's a viable option for instrument training provided it's suitably equipped.

I only weigh 135 lbs., so hell yeah! Now I wish I had...it would've been waaaay cheaper than that stinkin Seminole that I did my instrument in...
smirk.gif

Definitely. I fly a 150 that is IFR (incl. Apollo IFR GPS) on a regular basis. My CFI doesn't teach out of that school, though, so I strictly use it for rental/timebuilding. When I finish my IR, though, you bet I'll be flying it some to work on inst proficiency. Can't beat $48/hr. I know 3 people that are using that plane for their IR right now....

Ditto what Aloft said. I'm 6'3" and weigh in around 215, so having another person in the plane is a tad bit tight. But, if my instructor was a lightweight, and our 150 had the avionics (it doens't have NEAR what the one you described has) I would have most certainly done my IFR in a C150/152.

Go for it!

152, 172... doesn't make much difference when learning how to navigate and hold a needle. You might what to think about flying your approaches at 90 kts though. If there's other traffic waiting to get on the ILS, you could get delays for sequencing if you fly the approaches at 70 kts.

I paid $170/hr dual in a Seminole, but that's because I wanted to build MULTI time during my training (killing two birds with one stone). Once you get a couple of hours in a more complex plane, the extra overhead is minimal.

Is the C-152 certified for IFR? I commute in a VFR 152 and really wish it were IFR. Shouldn't make a difference to you in Spokane during the summer.

Good luck with your training.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the C-152 certified for IFR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, the aircraft doesn't really have to be certified for IFR flight to get instrument training in, and even a checkride!! Technically, I suppose, in order to complete the requirements of the Instrument cross country flight, the plane would have to be IFR certified (since you have to be on an instrument flight plan). But you can do alot of training in an aircraft that has no IFR certification.

I did a WHOLE lot of basic attitude instrument training in a 172 that didn't even have a NAV radio, and the altimeter was off by at least 800 feet
confused.gif
. Had an NDB, and that only worked if you were within 2 miles of the station....
crazy.gif

I would definatley have no problem with it other than I'm a bit big for it - it's a fine airplane.

Jason

Oh and....Eatsleepfly:

[ QUOTE ]
I only weigh 135 lbs., so hell yeah!

[/ QUOTE ]
What the hell, dude????? You 5'2"??????
wink.gif

haha...5'2 plus about 10 inches!
shocked.gif

I eat like theres no tomorrow, but apparently I have speedy metabolism.
cool.gif

And I suppose running and biking helps keep me this way...

A lot better then paying $145 for a 172 w/o a moving map. I love those garmins there so neat.

[ QUOTE ]
haha...5'2 plus about 10 inches!
shocked.gif

cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn. 6'1" and 233. We'd never be able to both fly in a 152....

Yeah, I dont have trouble with the weight in a 152, but I have trouble fitting in there with long legs..er, actually- once I get in I'm fine...its getting out that is the hard part.
grin.gif

Luckily, I only have one student in it...
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ooohhh - you're one of THOSE kind of folks.... healthy.
wink.gif

Man, between working full time and training (flying three times a week and studying in between) and my home life - working out has taken a back seat... and it shows.

A reason I've gone from 200 to 215 in the past couple of years.

I was a LOT like you in my early 20's. I could eat anything and everything and not gain an ounce. That all changed in my late 20's, early 30's. Now I'm pushin' 40 and it's next to impossible to stay fit!
wink.gif

ANYWAY.....

Back to your regulary scheduled program....

Sorry.

R2F

I wouldn't, but not for the reasons you might think I wouldn't. for me, the plane is just too small and uncomfortable. When I transitioned to the 172, I realized how much I liked the room!

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't, but not for the reasons you might think I wouldn't. for me, the plane is just too small and uncomfortable. When I transitioned to the 172, I realized how much I liked the room!

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you are good friend's with your instructor
smile.gif
Thats how my parents met.

[ QUOTE ]
I only weigh 135 lbs., so hell yeah! Now I wish I had...it would've been waaaay cheaper than that stinkin Seminole that I did my instrument in...
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think one of my legs weighs 135#.

[ QUOTE ]
I think one of my legs weighs 135#.

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, I hope the other one weighs 135#'s as well, otherwise you would look kinda funny....

Back