Poll for furloughed and active pilots.

wzgrza

For the active/inactive pilots out there.

If you were to get furloughed next month by your airline, would you look for work with another airline?

For the furloughed guys out there, are you moving on, or waiting for the recall/applying at other airlines?

Or are there some out there who say the hell with the airlines, and "living the dream" or more like "living in a garbage can cause you can barely afford a place to stay". (yea just slightly frustrated with my financial situation lately, and I don't even have a family).

Where do all of you guys stand?

My feelings right now are if I get recalled to xjet I'll come back. If my only option is to start again at a new regional I may never come back. Sort of depends on how this new non-aviation job works out. I wont walk away from a significant salary sitting at a desk to be at the bottom of a seniority list making $20,835 for another year.

I'll wait it out while doing something else. Got a job managing a video store, and since my degree is in hospitality management, it works as experience into it. Figure if I get furloughed again, I have experience in my degree major so it will look good when I find another job and completely leave this industry (although I hope it won't happen). Besides, it just means a long vacation of sleeping in my own bed and kissing my wife and son every night and not through a laptop monitor.

how's flying? :)

Hey man,

It's good. I love the flying, its great fun, and so far everyone I have flown with is an awesome bunch. LGA based now sitting reserve. Problem is I almost never fly, got called 3 times in the last month for 3 out and backs. This means I never break guarentee, which means I have to pick soda-cans and plastic bottles and recycle them. Other then that man its a great time, but the pay is absolutly horendous. How about you? Sitting reserve or do you have a line yet?

I think I am going to give it a certain amount of time and if I haven't been recalled, then hell with it. Right now I am working my old job and like others mentioned, I am enjoying sleeping in my own bed and not on an air mattress in a crashpad. I figure right now is a good time to save up some money and spend some time with friends and family that I have been neglecting.

My LSAT scores are still good so I might go back to school, but then I'd have to get a student loan. That would be funny, I managed to get through every aviation thing without a student loan and then I get one anyway.

If I get furloughed I am going back to school for a BS degree in Enology and Viticulture at either Fresno State or UC Davis. I'd get out of the airlines completely and get into the wine industry with my Enology degree. I am not going to struggle to "live the dream". I will give up in an instant it doesn't work in my favor - one additional taste of what the airline industry will do to me (furloughs, lack of job security, low pay, poor QOL, problems commuting, etc) will keep me away from it forever.

My airline isnt furloughing (at least not today), but if we did, and I got furloughed, its probably a good sign my airline is done. ha.

But if i did get furloughed, I would just take another job until they came calling. I feel very fortunate that I will have options if my company drops the F bomb.

I'll wait it out while doing something else. Got a job managing a video store, and since my degree is in hospitality management, it works as experience into it. Figure if I get furloughed again, I have experience in my degree major so it will look good when I find another job and completely leave this industry (although I hope it won't happen). Besides, it just means a long vacation of sleeping in my own bed and kissing my wife and son every night and not through a laptop monitor.

Where did you go to school? I got the same degree. I dont know what your times are, but If you got the requirements, I bet Netjets would take a serious look at you. They are huge on customer service! and since you probably got lots of experience, you would have a good shot at getting on.

Surprised to see the numbers at 17 to stay and 10 to go.

Seems like many are starting to get enough.

If my personal airline situation gets worse rather than better or the industry tanks even further, I'm done.

I'll still fly, but not in the airline sector. I'll work a McJob or stock shelves at MegaloMart until I can get a decent private sector or corporate job.

In the meantime, everybody strap one on- it's time to get off the defensive and start takin' it back!

In the meantime, everybody strap one on- it's time to get off the defensive and start takin' it back!

It would be about time..

I know guys flying jets making 1200 a month and living at the airport during hot-reserve then home for a night to sleep in their own bed. Or how about that pilot living in his van in the employee lot?

"Big Choice Video" in Leonardo, New Jersey? :)

"Ah. Navy Seals."

Anyway, if PCL furloughed, I'd probably try to make the switch it corporate, factional, whatever. Like Brian said, if Pinnacle starts furloughing, start the clock on the doors shutting. If we get put into a position to furlough, that means NorthDelta is looking to push us out the door. If that happens, well, that'll leave the company with Colgan. Unless they get some stuff turned around in a hurry, they'll bleed to death from the GSW-like cash wound.

My current plan is to stick it out until I get something like 1500 TPIC and start looking hard for another job. I'm sorta looking now, but it's gotta be the right job. I don't wanna bail, have the job fall through and be stuck with only 200-300 TPIC and have to work my way back up somewhere else.

Back