Police Helicopter Crash Newport Beach

dust blowing around when approaching the ground for landing due to rotor wash. Known as whiteout in snow conditions. It can get bad enough that you can’t see anything at end game on landing.

Is there no straight up (vertical) escape maneuver?

I just recently found out the Kobe helicopter had an AP. Wth? Why wouldn't you just throw on the magic if approaching IMC and let it do its thing?

In a case like this, if this had an AP, is there a AP enabled hovor?

Is there no straight up (vertical) escape maneuver?

I just recently found out the Kobe helicopter had an AP. Wth? Why wouldn't you just throw on the magic if approaching IMC and let it do its thing?

In a case like this, if this had an AP, is there a AP enabled hovor?

some helos have auto hover modes, some don’t. I would’ve thought the Puma would. But even if there, it has to be utilized. It’s not on all the time.

Kobe’s pilot was too behind everything most likely, to place the aircraft in a position where the autopilot could actually help him.

you can go straight up, but that’s only if references are lost. The tougher part is controlling insidious sideward or fore/aft drift that doesn’t get noticed as it’s happening. That’s when things get hit that were clear at one time.

I’m with @MikeD, Kobi’s pilot was reporting to ATC that he was climbing to 4,000’ at a time when RADAR was showing him at a 4,000pm rate of descent.

Date:16-JUL-2022
Time:
Type:
Silhouette image of generic UH1 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Bell UH-1H
Owner/operator:Bernalillo County Sheriff Department
MSN:12736
Fatalities:Fatalities: 4 / Occupants: 4
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Written off (damaged beyond repair)
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:En route
Nature:Fire fighting
Departure airport:
Destination airport:Albuquerque, NM
Narrative:
A police helicopter, Metro 2, crashed near Chapelle, New Mexico. All four occupants, 3 from BCSO employees and a BC Fire Dept employee died in the crash. They were headed back to Albuquerque after assisting fire crews with the East Mesa Fire.

1658068293360.jpeg

Date:26-MAR-2023
Time:c. 02:38
Type:
Silhouette image of generic R44 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Robinson R44 Raven II
Owner/operator:Baton Rouge Police Department
MSN:12494
Fatalities:Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Substantial
Category:Accident
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:En route
Nature:Aerial patrol
Departure airport:Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport, LA (BTR/KBTR)
Destination airport:Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport, LA (BTR/KBTR)
Investigating agency:NTSB
Confidence Rating:
CR3.svg
Information is only available from news, social media or unofficial sources
Narrative:
A Robinson R44 Raven II, operated by the Baton Rouge Police Department, was destroyed when it crashed into a cane field after returning from a car pursuit in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
The two officers onboard sustained fatal injuries.

1679857266773.png

Last edited:
Back