Police Helicopter Crash Newport Beach

I see, now they are. They didn’t when it first happened. DM made it front main headline news. I scrolled through both Fox and CNN and didn’t find it.

I see, now they are. They didn’t when it first happened. DM made it front main headline news. I scrolled through both Fox and CNN and didn’t find it.
Yes they did. Check time stamps. Just because you didn’t find it doesn’t mean they didn’t cover it.

F0E19727-BC30-46A3-AB4F-626898E9803E.jpeg
57D94848-FE7F-46C0-A19E-C19725B0FF13.jpeg
5F7BD736-7056-4C77-9FF7-F3791FAE022C.jpeg

Probably didn’t have enough pictures to make your personal Feed.

As I said, I scrolled through both sites on my phone and did not see it. It wasn’t in the top news. DM made it top headline which is where I saw it. I did go to try and find the CNN or Fox backup, but couldn’t see it. But then someone else posted the sole-source DM article and somehow wasn’t attacked for it. Go figure.

by the way, what is the time zone for jetcareers? It doesn’t look like local time. It’s 11:37am this moment in CA but your post above says “today at 13:19”

As I said, I scrolled through both sites on my phone and did not see it. It wasn’t in the top news. DM made it top headline which is where I saw it. I did go to try and find the CNN or Fox backup, but couldn’t see it. But then someone else posted the sole-source DM article and somehow wasn’t attacked for it. Go figure.

Again...

1645474867774.png

From KTLA local news channel today. Not many details yet, though.

Pilot reported mechanical issues before police helicopter crash

A pilot reported mechanical issues shortly before a police helicopter crashed nose first along the Southern California coast, killing one officer, authorities said Sunday.

The pilot made a brief call to report that the helicopter was experiencing mechanical issues, before calling again to say that they were going to crash, said National Transportation Safety Board spokesperson Elliott Simpson during a Sunday news conference. Right now, it appears to be a nose-down descent into the water,” Simpson said.

The Huntington Beach Police Department has three helicopters and typically keeps one in operation 24 hours a day. The two other aircraft will be grounded pending an inspection and the preliminary investigation.

A witness described the minutes leading up to the crash.

“We were driving over here and we heard the pitch of the helicopter,” the unidentified witness told KCAL-TV Channel 9 news. “And it sounded like a helicopter was in distress. And then when we looked at the helicopter, it was out of control. And it was obvious that the helicopter was going to go down. And it did go down and almost immediately sunk.”

The Huntington Beach Police Department Air Support Unit was formed in 1968. Huntington Beach was the first city in Orange County and the fifth in the nation to use helicopters for public safety service, according to the city.

@MikeD I have a question regarding the MD notar. I recall seeing pilots rotating the piece at the end of the boom as part of their preflight. Is that piece at the end connected to the pedals?

Another Police Helicopter Down

LA County Sherriff - Reports difference, but appears 5 SOB, 2 to Trauma Center, 3 to hospital.

https://abc7.com/video/embed/?pid=11665673

1647749049101.png

1647748709934.png

Date:19-MAR-2022
Time:16:58
Type:
Silhouette image of generic AS32 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

Aérospatiale AS 332L1 Super Puma
Owner/operator:County of Los Angeles
MSN:9004
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 5
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Category:Accident
N.gif
United States of America
Phase:En route
Nature:Ambulance
Departure airport:Huntington Hospital Heliport, CA (CL14)
Destination airport:Long Beach Airport, CA (LGB/KLGB)
Investigating agency:NTSB
Confidence Rating:
3.gif
Information is only available from news or social media reports
Narrative:
An Aérospatiale AS 332L1 Super Puma impacted wooded terrain in the Angeles National Forest, north of Azusa, California, under unknown circumstances,
The five POB were injured and airlifted to a hospital in stable condition.

Attachments

• 1647748747661.png
    1647748747661.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
Those LASD Super Puma helos replaced their longtime Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King rescue helos they used to have for rescue, of which those replaced their Sikorsky S-58T helos they had before that. I don’t believe LASD has had an accident of one of their medium-lift helos before.

Those LASD Super Puma helos replaced their longtime Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King rescue helos they used to have for rescue, of which those replaced their Sikorsky S-58T helos they had before that. I don’t believe LASD has had an accident of one of their medium-lift helos before.
When I saw this accident on the news I was curious what you’d have to say.
Your knowledge on these subjects is quite impressive.

Hopefully all will survive.

When I saw this accident on the news I was curious what you’d have to say.
Your knowledge on these subjects is quite impressive.

Hopefully all will survive.

The pilots are so popular on Instagram they have t shirts for sale (ghettobirdpilot). They post all the rescues they do almost every day. They fly SO SLOW on take off and landing, and only land in designated areas of the mountain highways. It’s actually super boring, which is good. I’d be surprised if this was pilot error but you never know.

I think he likes the abuse.

From a friend who's in the Sheriff Aero Squadron:

Investigation is on going but, helicopter was doing a normal landing next to road when they experienced a brown out. Soon after, the main rooter found a large tree.

1649447849633.png

What's a brown out? Not the electrical drop in voltage kind of problem I assume. Dirt lifting from the downward swash?

dust blowing around when approaching the ground for landing due to rotor wash. Known as whiteout in snow conditions. It can get bad enough that you can’t see anything at end game on landing.

Back