PNF/SIC time

mastermags

Well-Known Member *giggity*
Alright everyone, this is my first post to the forum, figured I would start with a question. What is the difference between time logged as second in command and pilot not flying... or is there any?

PNF time cannot be logged unless the PNF is acting as SIC (or PIC for that matter). SIC time cannot be logged unless the aircraft is REQUIRED to have 2 crewmembers.

PNF is a role you play as a crewmember.

SIC is a legal term used to describe the position of a required crewmember to compliment the PIC.

For example, the captain is PIC but may be the PNF when it's my leg to fly. So I'm flying, I'm PF and SIC, but the captain is PNF and PIC.

I have sole control of the aircraft (PF), but the captain is the final authority when it comes to operation (PIC).

Ack, now I've confused myself! ha!

Yeah, that was confusing, I had to read it twice, but i think im straight now
grin.gif
..... So, if your time is not logged as PNF, and you are not the pilot flying, what exactly are you (say in a piper warrior, or other one crewmember plane)?

[ QUOTE ]
So, if your time is not logged as PNF, and you are not the pilot flying, what exactly are you (say in a piper warrior, or other one crewmember plane)?

[/ QUOTE ]
A passenger?
wink.gif

I log SIC in whether or not I'm flying the jet or not.

The MD-88 requires two crewmembers by certification so whether or not I'm physically flying the aircraft, I'm serving a required role as a crewmember.

I can't log PIC on the jet because, for all practical purposes, there can be only one PIC even if I held an MD-88 type rating.

PNF/PF are simply roles that you play in a CRM environment and aren't logged.

Alright, I follow you now... Ive just been staring at this empty box next to PIC command in my log book and I wasnt exactly sure what I was supposed to put there (not like it matters yet, all Im concerned about is dual and PIC time)

Back