Plane crash in N. Scottsdale.

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
I was downstairs doing some framing and I hear a bunch of helicopters buzzing around about 10 minutes ago.

I pop the news on and they're talking about a plane crash into the McDowell Mountains which are about two blocks from my house. The McDowells are almost in my back yard.

I go to the balcony outside of the master bedroom with a view of the McDowells and sure enough, four hovering helicopters and a burning debris field at the crest of the mountain, clearly visible.

Nasty, erie, extremely sad sight to see on the mountainside. Since it JUST happened, there's no details beyond it was a KSDL departure or arrival and no word on the aircraft type.

Folks, be careful flying at night around mountains.

We broke out the telescope and you can clearly see some of the wreckage path, fires and saguaro catcus burning. With the telescope, it's a bizarre scene. There are two guys with flashlights looking for any signs of survivors and a lot of small fires. Most of the fuel has already burned so most of the fire is just burning foliage.

My condolences to those involved. Yet another sad loss to a fellow aviator(s).

I have searched for some more news on this crash but nothing has filtered through yet.

They just announced this morning that it was a Piper PA-60 Aerostar - it crashed roughly 5 miles NE of SDL on the Southwest face of the Mcdowels.

I saw a glimpse of it on the news last night ...

I hate it when I see those reports - and we get a lot of 'em out here.
frown.gif

Since it seemed like every news channel under the sun was darned near in my backyard all morning, I grabbed the digital camera and took a photo. After the fire, there's not a whole lot left:

aerostar.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like they were only a few feet from clearing it too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Think I heard somwhere they were only 150 ft (or so) shy of clearing it. They impacted at 3,600 ft and the tallest peak on that ridge is only about 4,000.

It sucks all the way around ...

I fly out of that airport almost everyday. I can't believe they just plowed right into one of the Mcdowell mountain peaks. There's no reason for a thing like that to happen. If the pilots had been paying attention even a little, that crash would have never happened. It turns my stomach to see crashes like that, but at the same time it also angers me that some people can be so foolish. Rule of thumb: Mountain huge, rocky, and hard, so fly around it. I don't mean that as a joke at all. That is simply all they had to do.

If I find a good picture of the Scottsdale airport I'll post it. All they had to do was fly north a mile or two like everyone else does.

That is very sad... I think it is irrelevant how close to the peak they were; you either make it or you don't...

And, mavmb1, although you are probably right... I really hate to blame the pilot before having ANY information.

Yeah, I understand your point but don't judge so quickly. You never know what actually happened ...
There is a very low ridge line within 8 miles of my airport. I fly over it all the time and found it interesting that people flew into it. Recently, I found out that a 727 flew into that ridge line about 25 years ago. I was amazed. After reading that accident report though, I can see how it could have happened. We al make mistakes ...

Mahesh

Bad things happen even to the best of us. I agree with the previous post, don't be so quick to judge. I know (knew) a very experienced airline pilot that died when he flew into Thomspon's Peak trying to beat a monsoon back into Stellar...

It can happen to anyone at anytime, but like many have said before me, staying alert and minimizing risk is the best we can do.

[ QUOTE ]
I fly out of that airport almost everyday. I can't believe they just plowed right into one of the Mcdowell mountain peaks. There's no reason for a thing like that to happen. If the pilots had been paying attention even a little, that crash would have never happened. It turns my stomach to see crashes like that, but at the same time it also angers me that some people can be so foolish. Rule of thumb: Mountain huge, rocky, and hard, so fly around it. I don't mean that as a joke at all. That is simply all they had to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well well well, this post goes in the stupid post hall of fame.

Do tell how paying attention would have saved the airplane and crew of the aerostar when:

when the engines quit due to non fuel starvation

the airframe suffers a major casualty

equipment failure and the cargo shifts aft.

the pilots are in an emergency descent due to an onboard fire, and miscalculated after all, it was NIGHT TIME!

I mean give me a break flying an Aerostar is a tad more complex than a Seneca, and a ton less forgiving. the aerostar's nickname is the Deathstar for a reason.

Any chance you want a job with the NTSB? After all, the families of this incident, Flt 800, USAir flt 5050, and the commuter that smacked in in Charlotte a cpl of week sago will be glad to know it is simple. just pay attention.

[ QUOTE ]

Well well well, this post goes in the stupid post hall of fame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank You Eagle, Well said.

I knew I was going to take some heat for my comments. However, Eagle read the articles about the crash and you'll agree with me. This crash was a pilot error big time! I should have posted this too, but some of my friends at the airport even saw the crash!
frown.gif
There were no engine failures or fires or mechanical problems at all.

Once again - speculation of those who weren't there and are getting their information from (a) heresay from those who SAY they saw the whole thing, and (b) the press (which is NEVER wrong)....

Until the OFFICIAL NTSB report comes out (not the Initial report that will just say that a plane crashed and lives were lost) - QUIT SPECULATING!!

You were NOT in the plane. You do NOT know what happened.

You can say "If it were me I woulda......." all you want when the bottom line is - if it were you - you'd be dead too.

Enough is enough. Give the pilots some respect!!

R2F

Well there may be some things that aren't readily apparent that may have contribute to the accident. I have no idea about departure procedures from SDL, but here are some possible problems:

(a) followed a incorrect departure procedure
(b) spatial disorientation
(c) loss of situational awareness
(d) problem in the cabin which distracted the PIC
(e) pilot incapacitation

etc.

I took a few classes in aircraft crash investigation at ERAU and believe me, the "cut 'n dry" investigations are usually not very obvious at all.

Most likely, since this is a story that only has interest in PHX, the NTSB probably will just rubber stamp it and move on to another one of many accidents.

Not to belittle the crash in anyway, but I'm surprised that the NTSB is actually investigating this crash. Doesn't the FAA pick up the slack when the casulty count isn't that high?

[ QUOTE ]
Not to belittle the crash in anyway, but I'm surprised that the NTSB is actually investigating this crash. Doesn't the FAA pick up the slack when the casulty count isn't that high?

[/ QUOTE ]

No the NTSB will investigate every fatal crash sometimes it is one investigator, but they dispatch somone.

Back