Plane Crash (Discovery)

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Why aren't we live chatting about this? Anyone else watch? Interesting that the #2 was running at full power after being left at idle. Would suck to walk away from a crash only to get sucked into an intake.

Haven't made it hat far yet on the dvr. High drama with the missing jumpers. How fun would that be bailing out db cooper style!

Anyone else notice the volley ball (Wilson from Cast Away) sitting on the glaresheild on the last flight? At least I think that's what it was....

Oh no!! The fuel pump gets in the way of science!!

image-4161066456.jpg

One of the guys I live with (mechanic) worked on 727 engines for 10 years. When the nose broke off, the throttle cable snapped. When the throttle cable snaps, the engine is designed to go full power in case of a cable snapping inflight.

Excellent show. A little overdramatized of course, but it was still awesome!

One of the guys I live with (mechanic) worked on 727 engines for 10 years. When the nose broke off, the throttle cable snapped. When the throttle cable snaps, the engine is designed to go full power in case of a cable snapping inflight.

Fascinating. I wonder if that's a design element in newer, FADEC controlled aircraft.

Crism said:

That's amazing. How does one shut down the engine?

Pretty swet show until I had to bail upstairs to watch Real house wives of New Jersey reunion !! lol I did manage to hit the record button so I will have to finish the crash!

That's amazing. How does one shut down the engine?

According to the show, spray a bunch of water in it. If the cockpit is still attached, use the fuel cutoff lever and/or pulling the fire handle.

Pretty swet show until I had to bail upstairs to watch Real house wives of New Jersey reunion !! lol I did manage to hit the record button so I will have to finish the crash!

Man-card = Lost

Wow, and here I was thinking I was getting a little whipped.... Certainly not according to you. :p

I love how the pilot's name was just JimBob

Edit: Not to threadjack but also first TV spot I've seen of "Flight" with Denzel aired during this, how perfect!

That was a pretty interesting show. They didn't say much about what they did with the data they recieved after the crash. I ended up catching a couple old episodes of Airplane Repo too....DVR sure is a great piece of equipment!!

This crash test is nearly identical to that of UAL 227, a 727 which crashed on landing at SLC in November 1965. While the descent rate of that accident and the impact dynamics were nearly identical, and the crash was survivable in terms of impact forces; ruptured fuel lines from separating landing gear and fuselage components and a severe post-crash fire was causal to many of the fatalities 43 that resulted from that accident.

This crash test is nearly identical to that of UAL 227, a 727 which crashed on landing at SLC in November 1965. While the descent rate of that accident and the impact dynamics were nearly identical, and the crash was survivable in terms of impact forces; ruptured fuel lines from separating landing gear and fuselage components and a severe post-crash fire was causal to many of the fatalities 43 that resulted from that accident.
Thanks for dropping some knowledge! It seemed like 227 was a pre CRM type accident where the capt made a bad call and over ruled the crew in an otherwise preventable situation. 1000' above GS a mile from the runway is no bueno

Thanks for dropping some knowledge! It seemed like 227 was a pre CRM type accident where the capt made a bad call and over ruled the crew in an otherwise preventable situation. 1000' above GS a mile from the runway is no bueno
Yeah, a lot of accidents in that era just seem ridiculous when you read the reports. The CA decides to kill everyone and the other pilot, or two pilots, just sit on their hands and watch him do it. We've come a long way.

Back