Plan: Start the IR in a couple weeks...advice sought

Thanks Stomp16!

So far the biggest help for me has been having a sim. I am only about 10 hours into my IR training though so I have no real advice to offer.

It is very fun! Much more challenging in all aspects than PPL training. I love it.

Have fun.

Definitely get the flight sim and practice at home with your approach plates and enroute charts...it actually makes the flight sim a useful tool.

I used to practice every approach on the sim at home before I did it for real...it does make a difference.

Situational awareness was the biggest challenge with instrument training for me. Thats partly because I had some pretty sub par instructors. I was sure to give special attention to that part of the training process when I was instructing.

Be sure that you truly grasp and understand how all of the navigational aids work.

Remember that it's cheaper to have it figured out on the ground than trying to work it out in the air.

BTW- 121 pilots don't use ICE-ATM or any other sill acronym. We start at the top and just read.

This one does. I never heard of the mneumonic before, but I use it.

Got to love having 3 crewmembers in the cockpit...Makes life so much easier. 1 guy flies, 1 guy talks, 1 guy reads the checklist.

Amen.

KB,

I agree with about everyone. IFR is really about 1) Situational Awareness 2) Organization 3) Procedures. The practice of all three and consistent application of them is the key. Attitude instrument flying will come around. The flight sims, even MS Flight sim, will be able to get you the cerebral exercise saving you valuable $$ in the plane. If you practice a lesson plan until you have all the procedures down, when you get into the airplane, all you'll have to worry about is the actual control of the aircraft and dealing with ATC. You should already have a good handle on your configurations, speeds and timing from your practice.

Chair flying will help too. Practice approach briefings, departure briefings outloud. The acutal verbalization of what you will do helps me.

FWIW, I breakdown the T/O to 2 parts (I've seen many ways, but I stole this one from the old shop, as I like it best). The departure review is the long winded talk: What my clearance is, What SID or DP (from the back of the 10-9 in the Jepp world), any obstacle considerations and emergency return. The Takeoff brief is immediately before turning into the runway and is basically the "how do I get out of here?" go over. Heading, altitude, first fix. That usually is enough to get you to where if something happens, you are far enough off the ground you have a minute to think.

Have fun and enjoy it.

You won't be dissapointed with Stenger. Fly as much actual as you can. I may be able to help you out a little - I think I'll be in Austin for a good chunk of September.

Been working the phones for a few days, calling various places to get a feel for costs/instruction, etc to start doing my i

What haven't I thought of that will make me a better IR student?

Thanks, in advance, for your advice.

I did my IRA in 16 days from beginning to end. If you can set aside the time (vacation, schedule reorganizing, whatever) to fly every day over a certain block of time, it'll really help.

If it's hot, fly in the mornings when it's smoother. Bumps and hot cockpits are distractions you just don't want. Do ground in the afternoon.

If it's hot, fly in the mornings when it's smoother. Bumps and hot cockpits are distractions you just don't want. Do ground in the afternoon.

Actually, if you can handle the heat and bumps WHILE in IMC during your training, you can handle it about any other time. I did both my Instrument and CFII during hotter than hell summers in OK. Not a lot of fun, but I do think if you can handle more distractions and still get done what needs to be done, you're a better pilot because of it. Going up in ideal conditions all the time doesn't let the students get a real feel for what they will be facing later on. Go up in the soup and give it a try!

You won't be dissapointed with Stenger. Fly as much actual as you can. I may be able to help you out a little - I think I'll be in Austin for a good chunk of September.

It was your recommendation that eventually got me to call them. I made sure to tell them you sent me. :)

Let me know when you're down here. I appreciate the offer. Shoot me a PM if you want...got some interesting stuff to talk to you about...

Back