Place to take Written Exam

flyn_ace_99

Hey there everyone,

I just found out that ATP is not covering the cost of my PPL Written, like they are in the other COM+ programs.
mad.gif

Anybody know a place in the Phoenix area where I can take my PPL Written exam? If possible can you make it under $90... that is what ATP is charging.
confused.gif

Thanks for all your help.

Marilyn

Any FBO has a test center just about - just start calling around. I use Falcon Executive at FFZ (Falcon Feild, Mesa). It's $90 but they knock a few bucks off if you're a member of AOPA - as do most places.

Hey flyin Ace, i am also starting ATP in Jan. So I also need to take the written private, actually I need to start studying for it. I talked with Jim this morning and he said all I need to do is buy the King private vids, that's it. He said you get a book with it that is comparable to the gleim, and that the whole kit will prepare you well enough to take the written. I was just wondering how you are studying for the written. Good luck and see ya in Jan.

check to see if you can rent the videos somewhere, rather than buying the whole thing... check to see if ATP will reimburse you for it too.

I must say I'm a little miffed that I wasn't told about this difference in programs when I applied. Makes me wonder if there is anything else that was left out.
frown.gif

Anyway... Errol mentioned to me about renting the videos rather than buying them...

Wish I could be more help

Marilyn

Thanks pilot206 for your help, unfortuantly my AOPA membership expired and I couldn't afford to activate it again... but I will soon. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Marilyn

You can get a free six month membership if your instructor nominates you or something like that. I don't remember the exact details.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks tonyw, but no instructor yet either
frown.gif

Geez, why do I have to be so stinkin complicated?
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. Maybe you could just hold off on the written until you get one? Then you could get the free AOPA membership and the discount. You're going to spend a lot of money on training anyway, may as well save as much as you can!

And what's up with the channeling of Avril Lavigne?

grin.gif

When going to ATP it's recommended to get the writtens done before you get there as you start everything right away. No worries, I will figure it out
wink.gif

Yeah, I don't know where Avril Lavine came from... I guess it's just one of those things that happens.
smile.gif

Marilyn

[ QUOTE ]
Geez, why do I have to be so stinkin complicated?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a chick.

(ducks ... and runs) JUST kidding.
grin.gif

Re: Free AOPA Membership

All you have to do is apply for it.

I got it and wasn't even taking lessons yet.

Free for 6 month...its worth a try.

Check out their website it's listed there somewhere.

Naunga

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing that now. I plan on getting the membership, it's just finding the $40 bucks to do so. Money is short at the moment. When I was doing flight at ER they gave us a subscription, which was pretty handy. But I had to stop it when the money was about to come out of my own pocket... you all know how that goes.

Anyway, I found an answer for my question. www.lasergrade.com. They will point you in the right direction, and I heard that they were pretty cheep. Some FBOs offer this type of computer examining. the website will tell you where the testing facilites are and give you phone numbers and hours of operations.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Marilyn

There are two computer testing systems that I know of. CATS (which seems to be pretty popular around the PHX area) and Lasergrade. I used to prefer Lasergrade (better set-up) but Executive just upgraded their computers and the new CATS is windows based. Pretty slick - it even has most of the figures in the computer (you still get a hardcopy book) but it's kinda cool to have the figures available on screen.

I've done one test on Lasergrade and the rest on CATS.

It's just a multiple choice test - it's nothing overly exciting.
grin.gif

Back